cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using 2 shunts only

PCama.1
Associate III

I designed my own motor controller board and it works fine. For the next revision, I am looking into reducing parts count and simplifying schematics a bit.

In the sense control area, I have tested the option of using the internal gain for the OpAmps and it works great. Digging into the code, I noticed that there are only two OpAmps being used. So is it possible to eliminate the third shunt?

I noticed an input for the positive side from a third shunt (generated by the 5.Y.4. MC Workbench). That is the M1_CURR_SHUNT_W which is a signal on OPAMPV2_VINP_SEC and COMP4.

Is it possible to eliminate it? I really wanted that pin if available for one of my Hall sensors input.

4 REPLIES 4
KnarfB
Principal III

There are variants calculating the 3rd value by Kirchhoff's current law, and there are even 1 shunt variants. They might be more difficult to use or show some tradeoffs.

hth

KnarfB

PCama.1
Associate III

@KnarfB​ thank you.

That's my question: I want to calculate the 3rd value based on the other two. Do you have any implementation ideas?

No, not really. Haven't done that in practice. The idea is Ia+Ib+Ic=0, but it is also important to measure Ia Ib at the right moment. There are app notes and tutorials by a number of different chip vendors.

hth

KnarfB

PCama.1
Associate III

You are right, timing of measure is critical. Maybe that is why in ST implementation they still use the input from the third shunt. I will look into it and dig into the code. Thank you again.

In the meantime, if anyone has implemented it, I welcome comments.