cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possibility of funding from STM in order to design a SimplFOC based board and demo programs.

adoug.11
Associate II

I don't know if this is the right place, but I am from the SimpleFOC community, a community slowly developing well engineered modules to build brushless motor drivers with.  Both hardware boards and firmware modules.

We have already converged on using a certain STM32 chip for the next most promising flagship board for running these firmware modules.

I noticed recently the article here.  As an engineer, I believe that that kind of approach is pretty laborious and hard to integrate into my products.  If the same labor effort and clearly quite advanced skills were employed to develop more modular, open source software, I think that would help sell more chips!  And they are good chips, so this seems like a reasonable and respectable collaboration opportunity.

Perhaps we could start by getting in touch with a suitable person to discuss this?

I can work with others in the community to draft a clear proposal with timeline and budget for parts, and settle on the hardware features and board design parameters in general.   Then we design the board, get it error-checked by the community, some minor changes, get some made, get some good demo programs written.

Honestly if you only make $ on the chip sales, this seems like a better way to sell chips?  This could easily take off and sell a lot of these boards, and this will then become, after much review and testing, a reference design for a motor driver board which is much more dependable than anything that is economical to fund development for internally in STM.

We use the B-G431b-esc board a lot, but we really need to supersede  that with a more suitable design, which is free of licensing restrictions, is more economical and also more general purpose.

0 REPLIES 0