cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Few questions regarding ST Motor Control

Z0ld3n
Associate

Hi, I have few questions regarding ST motor control library and hardware/motor compatibility.

1. I need to control two high speed / low inductance Maxon Motors (ECX SPEED 8 M Ø8 mm) using position control (encoder) . Is steval-ihm042v1 inverter board sufficient enough to control two low inductance motors with both very low and high speeds?
  2. Is it possible to use both encoder and hall sensors? I need position control but can't afford to allow motor to rotate once to find encoder index position.
  3. According to this thread HALL_EL_ANGLE & STOPLL_EL_ANGLE should superimpose. Is this the same with ENCODER_EL_ANGLE & STOPLL_EL_ANGLE ? If yes which parameter controls encoder electrical angle? Is it "Alignment Electrical Angle" in Start-up parameters? If no how to find out this value?
  4. Last question is about PID tuning. Using position control should i tune all three controllers (Torque/Speed/Position, in that order) or tuning Position is enough? Any guide/tips on tuning those? Should i tune them with or without load on motor.
2 REPLIES 2
Laurent Ca...
Lead II

Dear @Community member​ 

Have you managed to solve your problems in the meantime?

Best regards

Z0ld3n
Associate

@Laurent Ca...​ 

Not really, no.

I managed to spin one motor using F303RE Nucleo Board + IHM16M1 using new library 5.Y although can't get single motor to run properly using library version 5.4.6 (which i have to use for IHM042V1 board).

My questions still stands though (especially first one). Am i wasting my time trying to spin 2 of those Maxon motors(i can include datasheets if needed) using IHM042V1? Maxon recommends minimum of 50khz PWM frequency and i can't set it higher than 20-24k. Increasing execution rate does not help either.

I can try and make my own board using G4 MCU family (and for example external components if those embedded in F3/G4 are not fast enough for my use-case) if there is any chance it would improve things.

Will there be support for dual drive systems in upcoming library version 6?