cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cordic Function in L series of STM32

SRedd.5
Senior III

We started using the L series of the ST Micro for a project and found that it does not have CORDIC functions. What is the best way forward? Do we need to implement on our own? Or we have to migrate to G4 series. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FouadB
ST Employee

Hello,

The CORDIC co-processor is exclusively available in the G4 series and offers hardware acceleration for mathematical functions, especially trigonometric ones.

This feature significantly enhances the speed of function calculation compared to software implementation.

However, if you wish to develop a project based on the L4 series, you can refer to the example project based on STM32L452RE available in MCSDK5.4.8 (Please refer to the attached workbench file).

Best regards

If you agree with my answer, please accept it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'."

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Which STM32L ? L0 L1 L4 L5 ??

All have floating point libraries, some have an single precision FPU (32-bit floats), could also do table driven sin/cos estimations. 

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

It is  STM32L431cb but i am using the Workbench Motor control software and it is G4 series and it has Cordic functions. I need to replace them with related functions and the return values and everything shall match else it may not run the motor properly. How to proceed? 

>>How to proceed?

I supposed find someone who understands what the code / math is attempting to compute and code an alternative.

As far as I'm aware the CORDIC just speeds up some assort Transcendental Function math computation methods. The L4 has a CM4F core so should be able to do float math with some efficiency rather than needing fixed-point methods.

Talk to you local ST FAE or Engineering Support contacts related to your business with them.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
FouadB
ST Employee

Hello,

The CORDIC co-processor is exclusively available in the G4 series and offers hardware acceleration for mathematical functions, especially trigonometric ones.

This feature significantly enhances the speed of function calculation compared to software implementation.

However, if you wish to develop a project based on the L4 series, you can refer to the example project based on STM32L452RE available in MCSDK5.4.8 (Please refer to the attached workbench file).

Best regards

If you agree with my answer, please accept it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'."