cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choosing the ST micro for FOC for motor controller applications

JDesi.1
Associate II

Hi all,

I want to start ​using ST micro controller for motor controller application using FOC, encoder based.

I want to know which STM32 evaluation board I can buy?

Also please suggest me what are the other motor controller softwares I can download for free or I need to develop from beginning. Please help me, I want to start using ST.​

8 REPLIES 8
cedric H
ST Employee

Hello @JDesi.1​ ,

The FOC implementation reference code can be found here :

https://www.st.com/en/embedded-software/x-cube-mcsdk.html

Regarding evaluation board, It will depend on your needs. If you can detail your application, and your motor characteristics it will help us to guide you through the ST offer.

Regards

Cedric

VKuma.16
Associate

Thank you very much for the support, I have the following two motors with me , first AC300022 24V 3-PHASE BRUSHLESS DC MOTOR WITH ENCODER and AC300020 24V 3-PHASE BRUSHLESS DC MOTOR with Hall sensors. First i want to drive AC300022 with FOC and learn the concepts of FOC. Could you please guide me with the evaluation board to drive the above motor.

VKuma.16
Associate

sorry i had two accounts. i will delete one, but help me with the above answer.

Any advice please I need to buy the board.

Could you please provide your motor characteristics.

From the reference you gave, I did not find the max current and the power of your motor, only the DC bus voltage.

Thanks.

Cedric

These are the details i found, the current max is 7.47Amps and power is around 200 Watts this is for the encoder motor, for the hall sensor it is 3.91 Amps and 100 Watts.

Can you suggest now?​

Hello,

I used https://www.st.com/st-mc-suite/home/#/index to find the best match.

X-NUCLEO-IHM08M1 and NUCLEO-G431RB is a good choice.

If you want a single inverter, the board STEVAL-SPIN3201 can do the job. Be careful that the embedded MCU is an stm32F0, it could be a little bit slow depending on your application needs and the PWM frequency you target.

Hope it helps

Regards

Cedric