cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can I just call R3_2_TurnOnLowSides( PWMC_Handle_t * pHdl ) for regenerative braking ?

dannypkchan
Associate II

Hi,

R3_2_TurnOnLowSides is shorted motor 3 phases to ground, so when my ebike is downhill will motor power will transfer to DC BUS so call regenerative braking ?

Danny

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

As ST answered the same question, at the moment there are no direct functions for regenerative braking in the Motor SDK.

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W000016MitiSAC/electric-brake-function-for-pmsm-motor-control

But, in general, speed reduction through MC_ProgramSpeedRampMotor1 will work partly as regenerative braking, but this cannot be precisely controlled. That is, there is no some function that would regulate the braking torque.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
DTort.1
Associate III

Hi,

Calling R3_2_TurnOnLowSides( PWMC_Handle_t * pHdl ) will result in dissipative braking, not regenerative. In this case, the kinetic energy of the system will be dissipated into heat on the motor windings.

dannypkchan
Associate II

Hi DTort,

wow, thanks for the quick reply, can you help to suggest how to regenerate energy when my bike down hill ?

1. when brake action is interrupted (brake lever trigger external interrupt), then set speed to very slow e.g. 10? MC_ProgramSpeedRampMotor1(10, 0);

if this is the solution, can I change the target speed value for different amount of regenerate energy e.g.

MC_ProgramSpeedRampMotor1(10, 0);

MC_ProgramSpeedRampMotor1(20, 0);

MC_ProgramSpeedRampMotor1(30, 0);

thanks,

danny

As ST answered the same question, at the moment there are no direct functions for regenerative braking in the Motor SDK.

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W000016MitiSAC/electric-brake-function-for-pmsm-motor-control

But, in general, speed reduction through MC_ProgramSpeedRampMotor1 will work partly as regenerative braking, but this cannot be precisely controlled. That is, there is no some function that would regulate the braking torque.

dannypkchan
Associate II

thanks DTort