cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric brake function for PMSM motor control

DTort.1
Associate III

Hi, I am using B-G431B-ESC1 board for tests and MC-SDK 5.Y.2. I have a motor with Hall sensors. Are there any possibilities for braking the motor other than setting a downward speed ramp to 0.

I mean regenerative braking methods, and I'm also wondering if it is possible to keep the motor in place at zero speed despite attempts to turn it. Without using an encoder and position control, namely with Hall sensors and current measurements.

Perhaps this is outside the scope of the MC-SDK, but I would still like to know the possible options.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cedric H
ST Employee

Hello,

"Are there any possibilities for braking the motor other than setting a downward speed ramp to 0."

At least there is nothing ready out of the box from the MC-SDK to do it.

The dissipative break we provide is used as an overvoltage protection.

"I'm also wondering if it is possible to keep the motor in place at zero speed despite attempts to turn it. Without using an encoder and position control, namely with Hall sensors and current measurements."

Unfortunately not. In the scope of the SDK, we provide position control only with an encoder.

Regards

Cedric

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
cedric H
ST Employee

Hello,

"Are there any possibilities for braking the motor other than setting a downward speed ramp to 0."

At least there is nothing ready out of the box from the MC-SDK to do it.

The dissipative break we provide is used as an overvoltage protection.

"I'm also wondering if it is possible to keep the motor in place at zero speed despite attempts to turn it. Without using an encoder and position control, namely with Hall sensors and current measurements."

Unfortunately not. In the scope of the SDK, we provide position control only with an encoder.

Regards

Cedric

Thanks for your answer. Can you also tell me what "DC vector" means from the attached slide?

0693W00000FBfCZQA1.png