cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will code written for STM32f103 blue pill port easily to STM32f103 nucleo? The UM1724 manual is not that clear to me. I used FreeRTOS and Libopencm3 macros in the code. The problem I am having is not being able to debug using USB and minicom on Linux.

enjay
Associate II

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The NUCLEO-F103RB doesn't expose the target's USB connections, where as the I think the Blue Pill does this directly to a micro-USB connector.

The NUCLEO however does have a much better debug methodology supporting SWD and SWV (Debug Communication Channel / UART Proxy), VCP-UART connectivity, via the ST-LINK/V2-1

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
TDK
Guru

The blue pill has a STM32F103C8Tx MCU.

The NUCLEO-F103RB has a STM32F103RBTx MCU.

Both are medium density devices.

https://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/microcontrollers-microprocessors/stm32-32-bit-arm-cortex-mcus/stm32-mainstream-mcus/stm32f1-series/stm32f103.html

The latter has more flash memory and is a bigger package but is otherwise the same, so yes the code will port.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

Whether code is "easy" to port or not depends on how "well" the code has been written:

• If it's full of hard-coded device dependencies, it will be hard to port;
  • if it is well structured, with a nice modular abstraction/interface layer, it will be much easier.

Uwe Bonnes
Principal III

On all STM32F103C8 I have seen, real flash size is 128 kiB and flashing and comparing in the upper 64 k worked.

Available pins and possible pin collisions may be showbreakers.

The NUCLEO-F103RB doesn't expose the target's USB connections, where as the I think the Blue Pill does this directly to a micro-USB connector.

The NUCLEO however does have a much better debug methodology supporting SWD and SWV (Debug Communication Channel / UART Proxy), VCP-UART connectivity, via the ST-LINK/V2-1

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
enjay
Associate II

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks, good advice, and your feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks for your feedback, there are some pins I need to watch out for, you are right.

Thanks for your reply. I probably need to revise the code that outputs characters to the console so I can interact with the software over USB.