cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why the DFU application software doesn't connect to my eval board.

JCobu.1
Associate II

I'm using a STM32H747-EVAL board with a FS USB port. I've downloaded the DFU firmware application from the CUBE H7 Projects. it looks like the USB should initialize (and it shows up in Device Manager correctly) but when i run the DfuSe v3.0.6 demo and any other exe, it doesn't recognize a device being present. i would like to know if this works before i have to wade into the C++ source code.

thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

ST has a couple of device drivers for their bootloaders. I think one comes with DfuSe and the other comes with STM32CubeProg. One has the device come up as something like STM32 BOOTLOADER and the other comes up like STM32 DFU device or something like that. Your device is coming up as one, and DfuSe is looking for the other.

I expect you're on Windows, because on Mac this just works®. Anyway, go into device manager and you'll see that your chip is in bootload mode, and shows up but as the wrong flavour. Update the device driver, manually, let me choose which one, and choose the other flavour.

Suddenly DfuSe works.

JCobu.1
Associate II

hi - thanks for the reply. i wish it was that easy. I had tried it once, using the driver found at C:\xx\xx\DfuSe v3.0.6\Bin\Driver\Win10. the driver install comes back to say that "Windows has determined the best driver is already installed" which leads me to believe what supplied is a Virtual Come Port CDC driver, which is supplied by MS as part of Win10. So i tried to install it again and got the same result. i also had downloaded the Win VCP driver from STM but had the same results.

you mentioned a second driver. where would that be? there several dlls in the same application location. i assume their role is to link to a driver so somehow i'm missing something.