cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Com Port

dwarburton
Associate
Posted on May 12, 2011 at 18:22

I'm interested in writing some code for the STM32VLDiscovery that will communicate back and forth with a usb host computer.  I had thought this would be possible but the example code did not come with a VCP project like I had hoped.  Can someone point me to an example of how this can be done on this board?

Thank you

#stm32-discovery-usb #vcp-usb-stm32vldiscovery
2 REPLIES 2
geoffreymbrown
Associate II
Posted on May 13, 2011 at 20:12

The user configurable processor on the STM32VLDiscovery is an stm32f100 which does not have a USB device.  The boards distributed last fall for the design contest had stm32f103 parts which do have a USB device (but not the USB connector and passive devices). 

The USB connector on the STM32VLDiscovery is used to support the stlink debug and flash download functionality for the board and is not user accessible. 

The short answer is that no vcom capability is possible.  You might consider getting a USB/UART bridge and using that to communicate with the stm32f100.

For boards with USB capability, there is some distance between the vcom demo code distributed by ST and a usable vcom functionality for other projects.  Furthermore, it is challenging to debug code on a processor which is actively supporting USB.

Andrew Neil
Evangelist III
Posted on May 16, 2011 at 08:14

/bcd6007a