cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB PD sink

NITHIN
Associate III

Hi Team, 

I want to work on USB PD sink , which board would be suitable?, I'm trying for 28V 5A power. I think the firmware for this specification is not available yet. Even though i want to try on. Would you suggest me any board? Is STM32L562 would be compatible?

Thanks in advance

Regards 

Nithin Varghese

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Nicolas P.
ST Employee

Hello @NITHIN ,

To add information on top of what @PPAIL.1 wrote : The nucleo, discovery and eval board with L5 (there is even the STM32L562 that you refer to on the discovery one) have sink application demo code, that is using TCPP01.

The x-cube-TCPP code you were referring to support PD3.1 EPR (So USBPD protocol for negotiating 28V@5A).

From the software point of view, the brick is available.

As @PPAIL.1 said, the TCPP upgrade to support EPR voltages is on going. So it means you can start working on your design at 28V, and when the ST hardware supporting EPR will be available, you'll be ready.

Regards,

Nicolas

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
FBL
ST Employee

Hi @NITHIN 

The USB Power Delivery protocol enables voltage and current negotiation, to deliver up to 100 W of power in SPR. With Extended Power Range EPR in PD3.1, this would be possible with the stack x cube TCPP and soon will be fully supported in our hardware solutions.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

NITHIN
Associate III

Hi @FBL ,

Is stack x cube TCPP will be supported in STM32L562?

If so, what to do now? Do i need to wait till it's release? Or is there other parallel methods?

PPAIL.1
ST Employee

Hi NITHIN

You fill find here below USB-PD Sink applications examples for L5.

- For STM32L522E-EVAL : STM32CubeL5/Projects/STM32L552E-EV/Applications/USB-PD/USB-PD_Consumer_1port at master · STMicroelectronics/STM32CubeL5 · GitHub

- For NUCLEO-L552ZE-Q : STM32CubeL5/Projects/NUCLEO-L552ZE-Q/Applications/USB-PD/USB-PD_Consumer_1port at master · STMicroelectronics/STM32CubeL5 · GitHub

- For STM32L562-DK : STM32CubeL5/Projects/STM32L562E-DK/Applications/USB-PD/USB-PD_Consumer_1port at master · STMicroelectronics/STM32CubeL5 · GitHub

To go further, we have developed a software pack in STM32CubeMX that helps to build USB PD applications for any MCU with UCPD. Its documentation is available in the documentation folder of the X-Cube-TCPP_V4.1.0.

It can allow to build the Sink applications in SPR (We are working EPR and will be available soon) with the STM32L562: select the software pack in Sink application with a TCPP01, and define resources affectations in the platform settings.

Regards

FBL
ST Employee

Hi @NITHIN 

This would be possible with the stack in CubeFW.

If you need full solution, please contact your local FAE.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Nicolas P.
ST Employee

Hello @NITHIN ,

To add information on top of what @PPAIL.1 wrote : The nucleo, discovery and eval board with L5 (there is even the STM32L562 that you refer to on the discovery one) have sink application demo code, that is using TCPP01.

The x-cube-TCPP code you were referring to support PD3.1 EPR (So USBPD protocol for negotiating 28V@5A).

From the software point of view, the brick is available.

As @PPAIL.1 said, the TCPP upgrade to support EPR voltages is on going. So it means you can start working on your design at 28V, and when the ST hardware supporting EPR will be available, you'll be ready.

Regards,

Nicolas

NITHIN
Associate III

Hi Team, 

First of all I'm thanking @Nicolas P. , @PPAIL.1  & @FBL  for helping me solve my doubt. I'll start working on the sink application demo code  , using TCPP01, for 28 V. 

And I'm hoping hardware supporting EPR will be available soon. 

Thank you all

Regards

Nithin

Dear Nicolas

Can you please share the time for new FW support EPR available?