cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F407G-DISC1 goes to unspecified

YAtia
Associate II

Hello, I have an STM32F407G-DISC1 and it has not been fun. when I try to plug it into my PC it always goes to Unspecified in Device and printers. i have tried this on 2 pcs ant the same thing happens. Thank you if you read this!

25 REPLIES 25
Mon2
Senior III

Ok 🙂 Then what is the issue?

If this connects, you are good to go and can use the kit.

YAtia
Associate II

In device and printers it should not be in unspecified it should be in devices correct?

Mon2
Senior III

It does not matter as long as it works. It could be a simple Windows 10 "issue".

Under the same Target pull down, there is Erase Chip.

Does that erase the chip (internal flash inside the CPU)? Note that this will erase any program that is currently loaded on your kit.

Assuming that this will work ok. Moving forward, pretty sure you are good to go. Proceed to code up your custom code, generate the .hex output file and use this same programmer tool (STLink) to load in the .hex file and Target -> Program to test it out.

Also, one last thing to test is:

Target -> Connect (if you not done this already) -> ST-Link -> Firmware Update

This procedure will then ping the first CPU on your kit and report the version of the firmware. Also, the tool will go onto the internet to fetch the latest firmware for your kit.

What are the reported versions? This procedure is a bit goofy and may request if you wish to go back to an older version of the firmware. Do not do this if requested. Only proceed if the new version of the firmware from the internet is higher than the version on your kit 🙂

Allow the programmer to reflash the firmware to be the latest (if necessary) - do not interrupt the process -> then Target -> Disconnect. Target -> Connect -> ST-LINK -> Firmware update -> now the firmware should be reported to be the latest.

What does Device Manager report after this procedure?

Either way, if ST-Link can find the kit, you are good to go and proceed with your code development.

Mon2
Senior III

Step 20 of your posted PDF document shows the STLink in same location 🙂

0690X000006DiAtQAK.png

YAtia
Associate II

I did not see that. I am so sorry for wasting your time thank you for your effort though