cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F4: Purpose of the usage of ATOMIC_SET_BIT ATOMIC_CLEAR_BIT macros in the low level drivers related to UART peripheral

Vladislav Yurov
Associate III

Hello, I'm using LL driver in projects and I found these differences comparing the newest LL driver version (1.7.13) with my current why:

in file stm32f4xx_ll_usart.h/c (macro with prefix ATOMIC_ is now used in several functions)

• LL_USART_EnableDirectionRx is now using ATOMIC_SET_BIT macro instead of SET_BIT
  • LL_USART_DisableDirectionRx is now using ATOMIC_CLEAR_BIT macro instead of CLEAR_BIT
  • LL_USART_EnableDirectionTx is now using ATOMIC_SET_BIT macro instead of SET_BIT
  • LL_USART_DisableDirectionTx is now using ATOMIC_CLEAR_BIT macro instead of CLEAR_BIT
  • LL_USART_SetTransferDirection is now using ATOMIC_MODIFY_REG macro instead of MODIFY_REG
  • LL_USART_EnableIT_IDLE is now using ATOMIC_SET_BIT macro instead of SET_BIT
  • LL_USART_EnableIT_RXNE is now using ATOMIC_SET_BIT macro instead of SET_BIT
  • LL_USART_EnableIT_TC is now using ATOMIC_SET_BIT macro instead of SET_BIT
  • LL_USART_EnableIT_TXE is now using ATOMIC_SET_BIT macro instead of SET_BIT
  • LL_USART_EnableIT_PE is now using ATOMIC_SET_BIT macro instead of SET_BIT
  • LL_USART_EnableIT_ERROR is now using ATOMIC_SET_BIT macro instead of SET_BIT
  • LL_USART_EnableIT_CTS is now using ATOMIC_SET_BIT macro instead of SET_BIT
  • LL_USART_DisableIT_IDLE is now using ATOMIC_CLEAR_BIT macro instead of CLEAR_BIT
  • LL_USART_DisableIT_RXNE is now using ATOMIC_CLEAR_BIT macro instead of CLEAR_BIT
  • LL_USART_DisableIT_TC is now using ATOMIC_CLEAR_BIT macro instead of CLEAR_BIT
  • LL_USART_DisableIT_TXE is now using ATOMIC_CLEAR_BIT macro instead of CLEAR_BIT
  • LL_USART_DisableIT_PE is now using ATOMIC_CLEAR_BIT macro instead of CLEAR_BIT
  • LL_USART_DisableIT_ERROR is now using ATOMIC_CLEAR_BIT macro instead of CLEAR_BIT
  • LL_USART_DisableIT_CTS is now using ATOMIC_CLEAR_BIT macro instead of CLEAR_BIT
  • LL_USART_EnableDMAReq_RX is now using ATOMIC_SET_BIT macro instead of SET_BIT
  • LL_USART_DisableDMAReq_RX is now using ATOMIC_CLEAR_BIT macro instead of CLEAR_BIT
  • LL_USART_EnableDMAReq_TX is now using ATOMIC_SET_BIT macro instead of SET_BIT
  • LL_USART_DisableDMAReq_TX is now using ATOMIC_CLEAR_BIT macro instead of CLEAR_BIT

So the question is, for what reason the macro with ATOMIC_ prefix is now used? Why only for UART peripheral? What these changes may affect?

36 REPLIES 36

Hi TDK, on multi-core system it shall work, because it was designed for it. But I'm not sure, if using these instructions does make sense on STM32F4, single core system...

Please provide some information that backs up that statement.

It absolutely makes sense to use on a single core, multi threaded application (taking interrupts as threads). I would argue that's the only place it makes sense.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Nikita91
Lead II

I asked myself the same question as soon as I see this change.

On mono core is is used to do atomic access: thread vs interrupt.

On multi core it is also used for atomic access and build higher level critical sections.

It is strange to do a multicore protection at the bit level. I can't understand how 2 cores can share and access to the same peripheral at the bit level at the same time, even with STREXW/LDREXW.

I would like to have a response from ST on the underlying reason for this change in architecture.

TDK
Guru

This gives some insight into how STREX/LDREX are implemented. This is Cortex-A, but it's likely the same for Cortex-M:

https://developer.arm.com/documentation/den0013/d/Multi-core-processors/Exclusive-accesses

In particular, this quote makes me believe this mechanism may or may not work between cores, depending on the hardware implementation:

Where exclusive accesses are used to synchronize with external masters outside the core, or to regions marked as Sharable even between cores in the same cluster, it is necessary to implement a global monitor within the hardware system. This acts as a wrapper to one or more memory slave devices and is independent of the individual cores. This is specific to a particular SoC and might not exist in any particular system.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

> I can't understand how 2 cores can share and access to the same peripheral at the

> bit level at the same time, even with STREXW/LDREXW.

This is not at the "bit" level. This is at the byte/word/dword ADDRESS level. In a single core environment, the underlying mechanism simply makes sure that no interrupt/exception (or CLREX instruction) occurred between the LDREX and STREX. If an interrupt or a CLREX instruction is executed (both of which clears the "exclusive access" flag that is set by LDREX), the STREX will fail, signaling that the contents of that location MAY have changed. If no interrupt or CLREX instruction occurred between the LDREX and STREX, then the STREX will succeed and write the data to the given address because there is (almost**) no chance that some other code changed the memory/register value between the LDREX and STREX.

** I say "almost" because in PM0214 (ST Cortex M4 programming manual) there is no explicit mention of DMA access to the same memory location used by LDREX/STREX. I struggle to image a well-designed use case where DMA would be accessing the same memory/register, and at the same time, as LDREX/STREX.

> It doesn't answers to the question, why it was added only for UART peripheral...

My guess is that it's result of complaint of some influential customer.

JW

@TDK​ ,

> Edit: STREX/LDREX does work on GPIO->ODR as expected. Tested on a STM32F405.

Out of curiosity: How?

Thanks,

Jan

From what I have seen, in the HAL LDREX/STREX is used to change 1 or a few bits in a register. Hence my remark on the "bit level".

In a driver shared between several cores, it is more common to find higher level exclusions (at the level of functions): configuration, sending or reception of a message ...

Atomic accesses are used to build higher level critical sections.

Set up a timer interrupt such that it spends very roughly 50% of the time in that interrupt and 50% in the main loop.

Within the timer interrupt, toggle bit 0 and verify its status.

ASSERT(!(GPIOA->ODR & GPIO_PIN_0));
    ATOMIC_SET_BIT(GPIOA->ODR, GPIO_PIN_0);
    ASSERT(GPIOA->ODR & GPIO_PIN_0);
    ATOMIC_CLEAR_BIT(GPIOA->ODR, GPIO_PIN_0);

Within the main loop, toggle bit 1 and verify its status.

ASSERT(!(GPIOA->ODR & GPIO_PIN_1));
    ATOMIC_SET_BIT(GPIOA->ODR, GPIO_PIN_1);
    ASSERT(GPIOA->ODR & GPIO_PIN_1);
    ATOMIC_CLEAR_BIT(GPIOA->ODR, GPIO_PIN_1);

where ASSERT() just blocks forever if the condition isn't true.

Run the code with a debugger, observe that all ASSERTS are met and the code never blocks.

I also did verify that occasionally the STREX in the main loop would fail, so the check appears to be working as intended.

S.Ma
Principal

A read modify write onto a bit field of a regiater possibly shared by different thread should have atomic interrupt state saved, disabled and restored, if the same source is shared across different parts. When missing atomic causes application trouble, you will be debugging something not repeatable, random, occuring overnight.... so rmw atomic are better safe than sorry. If someone knows what he is doing, he can optimize and remove the "fat" consciously. No?

No multicore experience though....