cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeF4 examples don't build in MKD 5.38

Bassem
Associate II

Dear support team,

I download recently the last release of Stm32cubeF4 v1.28 and I have the MDK V5.38 installed in my machine, so normally I was expecting that examples will build out of the box but it's not the case.

It looks like the project example provided are working only in older version of MDK, I try to change some settings but the compiler version it's not even the same, and I end up with a mess.

So my question do you have any migration guide or any steps description that could help to solve this issue.

Best regards

Bassem taamallah

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

These steps that you mentioned I have already done them, when I figure out that the compiler used now is ArmClang but still I end up with the following error message for each single file compiled :

Bassem_0-1718823908485.png

This just the build of simple example on the target STM32F4-Discovery, maybe I miss something 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
KDJEM.1
ST Employee

Hello @Bassem and welcome to the Community 🙂,

The development toolchains and compilers for STM32CubeF4 1.28.0 are IAR V8.50.4, MDK-ARM V5.31 and STM32CubeIDE v1.14.0 as mentioned in release notes.

KDJEM1_0-1718795539449.png

MDK-ARM 5.38 comes by default with AC6 only. To use it with AC5 compiler, please follow the steps available in this AN: https://developer.arm.com/documentation/ka005073/latest/"

I hope this help you!

Kaouthar

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Thanks for your answer, unfortunately it's an extra step that need to be carry out, beside that AC5 it's not officially supported anymore, so better to move to AC6 and benefit from Keil support if needed, anyway for my use case it's not mandatory to stuck to STM32F4, my second question is there any STM32cube package released with the MDK-ARM 5.38 or later.

Thank you in advance for your support. 

What are the errors you're getting?

It's easy enough to switch to the Version 6 compiler, and Version 5 used to be in a download package.

As I recollect it MDK 5.38 needs to pull packages if it needs them. And you might have to remove a command line option for C99 and check the checkbox item for it instead.

Using it here, and it's much faster at compilation.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

These steps that you mentioned I have already done them, when I figure out that the compiler used now is ArmClang but still I end up with the following error message for each single file compiled :

Bassem_0-1718823908485.png

This just the build of simple example on the target STM32F4-Discovery, maybe I miss something 

Looks to be because of a divergent version of CMSIS, would suggest the project contemporary version from the HAL directories. Let it pull F4 pack, selected Default V6, checkboxed C99

keil538_v6_f4_build_001.jpg

I just reinstall MDK again and load gain all needed packs, STM32F4, CMSIS,... with this my problem is solved my, the only explanation that I could found is maybe loading a lot of packs from different vendors it's not a good idea. 

thanks for the help

If you touch the target setting, picking an MCU, I think it associates with the CMSIS in the pack(s), which is likely several versions newer than anything ST is shipping