cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request for Connecting STLINK-V3SET through CAN

mskumar_mtech
Associate II

Hello,

Good morning. We have developed a CAN based Custom Bootloader and now we would like to use STM32CubeProgrammer and STLINK-V3SET and update our application software through CAN based custom Bootloader. The Custom Bootloader software CAN configuration is shown below for our ready reference.

mskumar_mtech_0-1696956906190.png

Now we could detect the STLINK-V3SET device and selected the CAN configuration as given below.

mskumar_mtech_1-1696956906192.png

When try to connect this STLINK-V3SET, we are getting the error "BRG_CAN_ERR".

1. We would see that 3.3V and ground is connected to STLINK-V3SET.
  2. Also we could see that 120 ohms across the CAN Hi and CAN Lo
  3. STLINK-V3SET is connected with 4 wires (Vcc, Ground, CAN Hi and CAN Lo) and Jumper J7 is Closed to use CAN through CN5.

Here is the error screenshots for your ready reference.

mskumar_mtech_2-1696956906193.png

mskumar_mtech_3-1696956906194.png

# The Voltage is showing 0.00V. What does it mean to us? Do we need to 3.3V during this connection establishment?

# CAN_VCC shall be provided with 5V or 3.3V please?

Please note that we don't want to use the "System Bootloader" and we would like to use the CAN based custom bootloader, which will be available from 0x0800 0000 till 0x0800 FFFF (first 32 pages).

Any suggestions to fix this issue is highly appreciated. 

8 REPLIES 8

You might need to add a transceiver if using CAN HI/LO, the pins it connects with are CAN_RX / CAN_TX, so without a transceiver on the ST-LINK/V3 side.

https://www.st.com/resource/en/user_manual/um2448-stlinkv3set-debuggerprogrammer-for-stm8-and-stm32-stmicroelectronics.pdf

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Your custom implementation would need to fully match the expectations ST-Micro has for *THEIR* implementation.

Perhaps you can use your own CAN interface and tools to validate that you can in fact communicate with your loader.

Hi Tesla

Many thanks for your quick response. Will check along with the transceiver chip and comeback to you soon. BTW can we use the STM32CubeProgrammer and STLINK-V3SET for CAN based custom Bootloader or Open Bootloader please?

Hi Tesla,

Many thanks again. Yes. Our embedded software supports all CAN commands and respond as expected? Do you suggest any other solutions for Front-end tool and hardware tool for Custom CAN bootloader please? 

mskumar_mtech
Associate II

Hi Tesla,

We have developed a CAN based custom Bootloader and we would like to flash the application software using STM32CubeProgrammer and STLINK-V3SET. We have provided 3.3V Supply, ground to STLINK_V3SET module and connected CAN_Tx and CAN_Rx through a CAN transceiver board. Jumper J7 is closed as well. STLINK-V3SET module is detected by the STM32CubeProgrammer when powered and connected through microUSB cable. Selected the STLINK-V3SET module and enabled the CAN interface option with default values. We pressed the connect button, we are getting the following timeout error.

Now we have replaced the STLINK-V3SET with a NUCLEO board (STM32L432). Implemented software and started sending all CAN commands and we could see the positive response from our Custom Bootloader for our CAN commands sent from Nucleo board. Here is the copy of all commands and their responses for your ready reference.

Finally we have concluded that our test set-up is all good including the Transceiver and all hardware connections except STLINK-V3SET, There is something not good in STLINK-V3SET (jumper connections or wiring or firmware in STLINK-V3SET).

If you are able to establish the connection between STM32CubeProgrammer and STLINK-V3SET, kindly share the log file to see the communication between STLINK-V3SET and Target board.

Many thanks.

Well looks to be communicating. Not sure how well your loader mirrors the behaviours of ST's. If one works whilst the other doesn't you'll need to debug in a Compare and Contrast sense.

This isn't my use case, I'd suggest you work with one of the paid ST support staff or FAE on your account. Or open an Online Support Request

mskumar_mtech
Associate II

Hello Tesla,

Many thanks for your quick response. When we press the "Connect" button to establish the connection between STM32CubeProgrammer and STLINK-V3SET, kindly share the log file to see the communication between STLINK-V3SET and Target board pllz..

Pranil
Associate

Hello mskumar_mtech,

Can you please let me know what reference you have used for CAN bootloader implementation and configuration settings for the same.

I want to implement CAN bootloader for stm32g0b1cbt3 controller using STlinkV3 and cubeprogrammer.

BR,

Pranil Patil