cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRQ setting/controlling via NVIC or HAL?

LVara.1
Associate II

5 REPLIES 5
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

If you already use the HAL library then use it for NVIC as well.

HAL_NVIC_SetPriority vs. NVIC_SetPriority (CMSIS API) conveniently accepts plain values for the priority and hides confusing bit shifting.

TDK
Guru

Duplicate:

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W00001UVszwSAD/external-irq-control-via-cortex-library-or-via-hal-library

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

By default subpriorities are not used and are almost useless anyway. Therefore they are not recommended. And, when subpriorities are not used, NVIC_SetPriority() doesn't need any bit shifting. As often, in real life usage ST's code is practically almost useless.

Many thanks, I will read, today , in Italy, is a holiday ... However, I had other unclear news: while traveling the web I found an email from 2020 that where a possible error is reported in the HAL_EXTI_xxxx:

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X0000CErIa2SQF/stm32f7-halextisetconfigline-configures-exti-incorrectly?t=1650091177992

I rewrote the code for a STM32F4 and in fact a perennial interrupt is generated. The question is now more general: when to use and why the HAL_NVIC_***, and when to use the HAL_EXTI_***? I have been using the HAL_NVIC_*** for a couple of years and have had no problems. I wanted to try the generation of software interrupts and I wanted to try the HAL_EXTI_*** (there is a specific call), but they were born many issues: The documentation does not seem very accurate, for example in the document UM1725-2021 on page 346, point 25.1.2 is written: "The Exti GPIO multiplexer selection to be configured. This parameter is only possible for line 0 to 15. It can be a value of EXTI_GPIOSel " Does it mean that I can activate at some time, for example PA0 and at another time PB0? It is not clear to me ... I have to do other tests or look for clearer documents. LV

You have to learn what the NVIC and what EXTI is. NVIC is a peripheral internal to the ARM Cortex-M CPU core and manages interrupts from all peripherals. EXTI is a ST specific peripheral external to the CPU connected down at the APB2 bus and manages GPIO pin interrupts plus interrupts from some specific differently connected peripherals.