cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interrupt Mode HAL Delay

Nico3
Senior

Hello 

I am newbie to embedded word.  I am trying to learn interrupt for GPIO on NUCLEO-F091RC. I set the User Button as interrupt and LED should toggle as button is pressed. I copied the callback function ( HAL_GPIO_EXTI_Callback) in main.c . Under callback function, I called HAL_GPIO_Toggle . The code is working as expected. 

But now I want LED to Blink as interrupt from button is generated. I wrote the below code. But as soon code comes to HAL_Delay function , it hangs. I tried to check in debug mode also. As  I come to HAL_Delay function- StepInto , StepOver button fades out and code hangs there. 

void HAL_GPIO_EXTI_Callback(uint16_t GPIO_Pin)
{
HAL_GPIO_TogglePin(GPIOA, GPIO_PIN_5);
while(1)
{
HAL_GPIO_TogglePin(GPIOA, GPIO_PIN_5);
HAL_Delay(1000);
}
}

2 REPLIES 2

Cube/HAL is open source so you can check what's going on by reading those sources.

Delay in Cube/HAL generally depends on interrupt, usually SysTick, so if you don't assign proper priorities to that and your interrrupts, while in your interrupt, the delay-related interrupt can't fire and advance its counter.

JW

Johi
Senior III

ISR (interrupt service routines) should be exited as quick as possible and kept as short as possible, delays in and ISR are a bad idea because you block what has a lower interrupt priority in the mcu. On top of that as explained by @waclawek.jan above, if your hardware ISR has a higher priority than the SysTick ISR that is the driver of the time count in HAL_Delay(), HAL_Delay cannot work anymore and your HAL_Delay waits forever for ticks that do not come any more.

The alternative is to set a flag and use the main() loop to organize the blinking:

/* USER CODE BEGIN PV */
#define TRUE 1  // JOHI
#define FALSE 0 // JOHI
volatile uint8_t buttonPressedFlag=FALSE; // JOHI
/* USER CODE END PV */

/* Private function prototypes -----------------------------------------------*/
void SystemClock_Config(void);
static void MX_GPIO_Init(void);
/* USER CODE BEGIN PFP */

// JOHI:
void HAL_GPIO_EXTI_Callback(uint16_t GPIO_Pin)
{
  /* Prevent unused argument(s) compilation warning */
  if (GPIO_Pin==BUTTON_Pin)
	  buttonPressedFlag=TRUE;
}

/* USER CODE END PFP */

/* Private user code ---------------------------------------------------------*/
/* USER CODE BEGIN 0 */
/* USER CODE END 0 */

/**
  * @brief  The application entry point.
  * @retval int
  */
int main(void)
{
  /* USER CODE BEGIN 1 */

/* USER CODE END 1 */

/* MCU Configuration--------------------------------------------------------*/

/* Reset of all peripherals, Initializes the Flash interface and the Systick. */
  HAL_Init();

/* USER CODE BEGIN Init */

/* USER CODE END Init */

/* Configure the system clock */
  SystemClock_Config();

/* USER CODE BEGIN SysInit */

/* USER CODE END SysInit */

/* Initialize all configured peripherals */
  MX_GPIO_Init();
  /* USER CODE BEGIN 2 */

/* USER CODE END 2 */

/* Infinite loop */