cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet PHY KSZ8863 with STM32F429

sukru
Associate

I have a STM32F429 Discovery board and I want to add ethernet for project. I am using external ethernet PHY named KSZ8863. Is it possible to

communicate with using this PHY ? if it is possible should you share an example code for it? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome, @şükrü krc​, to the community!

First of all, DISCOVERY boards are intended to investigate the functions of the respective STM32 and are therefore already equipped with plenty of peripherals so that you can test this extensively without having to build your own board. For this reason, only a few GPIOs are free for alternative use on the DISCOVERY boards. In your particular case, the pins you need for the interfaces MII or RMII are already occupied, so you cannot retrofit the STM32F429I-DISC1 with an Ethernet PHY via RMII/MII.

If you want not only to try out the functions of the respective STM32, but to have almost complete freedom in development, you should consider a NUCLEO board instead, e.g. the NUCLEO-F429ZI.

Good luck!

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome, @şükrü krc​, to the community!

First of all, DISCOVERY boards are intended to investigate the functions of the respective STM32 and are therefore already equipped with plenty of peripherals so that you can test this extensively without having to build your own board. For this reason, only a few GPIOs are free for alternative use on the DISCOVERY boards. In your particular case, the pins you need for the interfaces MII or RMII are already occupied, so you cannot retrofit the STM32F429I-DISC1 with an Ethernet PHY via RMII/MII.

If you want not only to try out the functions of the respective STM32, but to have almost complete freedom in development, you should consider a NUCLEO board instead, e.g. the NUCLEO-F429ZI.

Good luck!

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

If the problem is resolved, please mark this topic as answered by selecting Select as best. This will help other users find that answer faster.

/Peter