cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Both cores with same communication

ACohe.3
Associate II

Hey,
I use stm32h745, I want to use FDCAN1 communication with both cores.
What is the effect of the decision on which core to perform initializer in the CubeMX?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TDK
Guru

Selecting the core will determine which core's startup code will initialize the peripheral. Either core can do initialization, just need to make sure:

• Initialization is done before use.
  • Software state machine is accurate.
  • Cores don't access the peripheral at the same time.

Generally, the second point is tricky as the initialization initializes the state machine. But you can set this manually.

The third point is also tricky unless you use a hardware semaphore or other mechanism to ensure exclusive access.

It's going to be a lot more straightforward to dedicate FDCAN to a single core if you can.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TDK
Guru

Selecting the core will determine which core's startup code will initialize the peripheral. Either core can do initialization, just need to make sure:

• Initialization is done before use.
  • Software state machine is accurate.
  • Cores don't access the peripheral at the same time.

Generally, the second point is tricky as the initialization initializes the state machine. But you can set this manually.

The third point is also tricky unless you use a hardware semaphore or other mechanism to ensure exclusive access.

It's going to be a lot more straightforward to dedicate FDCAN to a single core if you can.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

>>It's going to be a lot more straightforward to dedicate FDCAN to a single core if you can.

Yeah, This..

If you can't get this to work efficiently / effectively on a single core, your problems with simply compound if you add more.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..