cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B-L462E-CELL1 not connecting to TruPhone

Clark Sann
Senior

Just received this and it doesn't connect. I contacted Truphone and they were not much help. They did mention to make sure the apn is iot.truphone.com.

I know almost nothing about this device and the instructions are sparse but I did find a menu item for Cellular Service. It did not have anything in the apn field. I set the menu as follows:

Sim Slot 0: 1 (MODEM EMBEDDED SIM)

APN: iot.truphone.com

CID: 1

username: 

password: 

modem target_state: 2

attachment timeout: 180000 ms

Network register mode: 0 = Auto

Operator name format: 9 = Not present

Operator name: 00101

Access techno present: Not present

Network register mode: 7 = CatM1

Low power inactivity timeout: 1000 ms

NFMC activation : 0

It still does not connect. Are these values ok?

Also it seems the my.murata.com website is not accepting new logins. So how can I get further information about this board?

31 REPLIES 31
S.RA
ST Employee

Hi Clark,

Did you successful activated the SIM subscription via Truphone website? If yes, then please check that you are country is covered by Truphone footprint here https://www.truphone.com/things/plans/coverage/?feature=LTE-M.

If your country is covered then can you run the original binary that come from the board (if you do not have the original binary, you can also retrieve it from x-cube-cellular website https://www.st.com/en/embedded-software/x-cube-cellular.html, then you can find the binary at STM32CubeExpansion_CELLULAR_V5.2.0\Projects\B_L462E\Demonstrations\Cellular\Binaries\l462_t1se_socket_v520.bin). Then sends the trace that you see on the terminal (teraterm). We need to verify if there is something wrong that prevent the device to register to the network. Indeed, it may happen that automatic IMSI switching to your country may not happen for some reason. So, we need to do some minor verification.

Best Regards

Solofo

S.RA
ST Employee

Hi Clark,

Your setting is OK. Can you check if the country where you try to run the board is covered by Truphone footprint. You can use this https://www.truphone.com/things/plans/coverage/?feature=LTE-M.

Can you also share the log /trace you from the teraterm?

When you see REGISTRATION DENIED printed, can you enter the command on the terminal at at%ceer? It will provide the detail of REGISTRATION DENIED. I can help to understand the reason of registration failure.

Thanks

Best Regards

Solofo

Clark Sann
Senior

@S.RA​ 

Thank you so much for helping me with this.

SIM ACTIVATION

Yes, I did activate my Truphone SIM subscription. I am in the USA in the state of Arkansas. I am near ATT and Verizon towers. I have been in contact with Truphone support. They confirm I am activated. They seem very confused about the B-L462E-CELL1. They frequently ask me to remove the SIM and put it in a cell phone. I have to frequently explain to them that this device uses an eSim and it is not removable. I am trying to educate them on the B-L462E-CELL1. I have sent them literature on the device.

They have recently sent my support request to their engineers. The engineers asked for my exact location. I sent them my Lat Lon and my state and city. I also have sent them a complete log as well as information on the B-L462E-CELL1.

CONSOLE LOG

I have attached a complete log.

AT%CEER command

I am unable to make the at%ceer command work. Please provide me more details on the exact command and how to enter it into the terminal.

Here is what I have tried:

1. Press Enter
  2. type "cst polling off"
  3. type "at%ceer" Unknown command
  4. type "at at%ceer" Incorrect parameters
  5. type "at at+ceer"

$>at at+ceer

ATParser:*** SEND (size=8) ***

at+ceer<CR>

<CR><LF>

+CEER: <CR><LF>

<CR><LF>

OK<CR><LF>

ORIGINAL BINARY

Should I use the CubeProgrammer to install the binary? After I install the new binary I will send you another log and the results of the CEER command.

Thank you again for your help!

Clark

S.RA
ST Employee

Hi Clark,

The command is "at at%ceer?"

If you are in the US, you need to force the Modem FW to use the TRUPHONE network configuration. So, please enter the command : at at%nwoper="TRUPHONE".

I hope it helps

Best Regards

Solofo

Hi Solofo Here is the response to the ceer? command: at%ceer? %CEER: 1,"NAS-EMM","ATTACH","REJECT",#17,NETWORK_FAILURE OK $> +CEREG: 3 I got this response once or twice, most times I get no response. When I enter at at%nwoper=TRUPHONE�? I get no response. Sometimes it stops the terminal display. Clark
S.RA
ST Employee

Please enter at at%nwoper="TRUPHONE". To be sure that you have the correct name has been set, please enter at at%nwoper?

you should have something like below:

$>at at%nwoper="TRUPHONE"

ATParser:*** SEND (size=21) ***

at%nwoper="TRUPHONE"<CR>

<CR><LF>

OK<CR><LF>

$>at at%nwoper?

ATParser:*** SEND (size=11) ***

at%nwoper?<CR>

<CR><LF>

%NWOPER: "TRUPHONE"<CR><LF>

<CR><LF>

<CR><LF>

OK<CR><LF>

$>

Solofo, thank you again for your help!
Should I enter the nwoper command while the terminal is scrolling? When I do that, most of the time I get no response at all.
Or should I stop the scrolling? If so, how do you recommend I do that?
Clark
S.RA
ST Employee

You are welcome.

You can do a copy paste of the command to your terminal as soon as the AT commands transaction with modem is possible. But I suggest you to first let Modem to perform network search (for example when you see the network status is displayed like NOT_REGISTERED_SEARCHING).

Solofo

Most of the time when I paste in a command, it is not printed, not acknowledged at all. I am trying three different terminal programs in macOS Big Sur. Do you think I need to find a Windows machine and use Terra Term? Also, I never see NOT_REGISTERED_SEARCHING. Here is the loop I am in: AUTOM TASK: WAITING_FOR_NETWORK_STATUS_STATE - POLLING_TIMER_EVENT *********** CST_network_status_test_mngt ******** ATParser:*** SEND (size=10) *** AT+CEREG? +CEREG: 2,3 ATCModem:NetworkState (EPS) = REGISTRATION_DENIED OK ATParser:*** SEND (size=9) *** AT+CREG? +CREG: 2,3 ATCModem:NetworkState (CS) = REGISTRATION_DENIED OK ATParser:*** SEND (size=9) *** AT+COPS? +COPS: 0 OK ATParser:*** SEND (size=7) *** AT+CSQ +CSQ: 19,99 OK -Sig quality rssi : 19 -Sig quality ber : 99 AUTOM TASK: WAITING_FOR_NETWORK_STATUS_STATE - POLLING_TIMER_EVENT *********** CST_network_status_test_mngt ******** ATParser:*** SEND (size=10) *** AT+CEREG? +CEREG: 2,3 ATCModem:NetworkState (EPS) = REGISTRATION_DENIED OK ATParser:*** SEND (size=9) *** AT+CREG? +CREG: 2,3 ATCModem:NetworkState (CS) = REGISTRATION_DENIED OK ATParser:*** SEND (size=9) *** AT+COPS? +COPS: 0 OK ATParser:*** SEND (size=7) *** AT+CSQ +CSQ: 19,99 OK -Sig quality rssi : 19 -Sig quality ber : 99 AUTOM TASK: WAITING_FOR_NETWORK_STATUS_STATE - POLLING_TIMER_EVENT *********** CST_network_status_test_mngt ******** ATParser:*** SEND (size=10) *** AT+CEREG? +CEREG: 2,3 ATCModem:NetworkState (EPS) = REGISTRATION_DENIED OK ATParser:*** SEND (size=9) *** AT+CREG? +CREG: 2,3 ATCModem:NetworkState (CS) = REGISTRATION_DENIED OK ATParser:*** SEND (size=9) *** AT+COPS? +COPS: 0 OK ATParser:*** SEND (size=7) *** AT+CSQ +CSQ: 18,99 OK -Sig quality rssi : 18 -Sig quality ber : 99 Notice the ber which is 99. It has shown that reading since I first used it on Monday. I think that means the bit error rate is 99%….almost all the bits are in error. Is something wrong with my board?