cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which is the best stm32 board (nucleo or evaluation) with embedded high performance DAC for sinusoidal signal generation? see next details.

Tommino
Senior

I am looking for a microcontroller board for the following application:

Receive a square wave LVDS signal at 1 kHz (more or less) and generate 2 sinusoidal single-ended output with the same frequency of the incoming square wave with the highest resolution possible. The board shall have the possibility to add a BNC connector for the outputs

4 REPLIES 4
Michael E
ST Employee

Hello @Tommino​ ,

What I suggest is to use the product selector embedded in STM32CubeMX, STM32CubeIDE or ST-MCU-Finder.

Thanks to the finder, you will select the best STM32 MCU for your application. Of course, you can check the box to select all STM32 with DAC.

Regards

Michael

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Javier1
Principal

>highest resolution possible,

1KHz is fairly slow, you could use any board with a chip from F4 family. (and simple RC filtering)

The chips are fast and you have plenty DMAs to handle your input capture timers and your DAC outputs.

From AN4566 ( cap 1.4)

So a total of four APB clock cycles is needed to update the DOR data. As APB1 maximum clock is 42 MHz (for ST32F407x), 10.5 Msps is the maximum update rate for the DAC output register when timer trigger and the DMA are used for the data update.

>The board shall have the possibility to add a BNC connector for the outputs

No idea about this, you should look it up

we dont need to firmware by ourselves, lets talk
Tommino
Senior

Hi @Javier Muñoz​ and @Michael E​ ,

thanks a lot for the reply. These will be the starting points for my design.

I have other couple of questions: can I produce an ouput waveform with some parameters set by an external interface linked to a PC while the uC code is running?

If yes, which one do you recommend? (UART, RS232, Ethernet)

Thanks again

P.S.

@Michael E​ I downoloaded the MCU finder but I did not find this "add-on". Any suggestion on this?

"the board shall have the possibility to add a BNC connector for the outputs"

>I have other couple of questions: can I produce an ouput waveform with some parameters set by an external interface linked to a PC while the uC code is running? If yes, which one do you recommend? (UART, RS232, Ethernet)

Yes you can @Tommino​ , If its a PC you really dont have many options, USB:

1. The easy option: use the USB interface of the onboard stlink, in nucleo/discovery boards the STLINK creates a COMport which is ususally wired to one of your MCU's UART.
  2. The difficult option: if you dont want to stick with the stlink, you could programm your own USB CDC COMport.(the USB stack is ugly and a bit complex)
  3. The expensive option: buy one of those FTDI chips (UART to USB bridges)
we dont need to firmware by ourselves, lets talk