cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Type-C and Power Delivery on STM32G070RB

James-Shih
Associate II

Hi,

We had an existing product using STM32G070RB powered by the USB Type-C and would like to detect the input source can provide the proper power delivery (15W, 5V, 3A).

I looked at the STM32 solutions for USB Type-C and Power Delivery document and noticed STM32G0x1 supports the build-in UCPD controller, but not STM32G0x0 series, is it correct?

If yes, then is there any example or suggestion to use STM32G0x0 series to detect PD source?

Thanks.

James Shih

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TDK
Guru

The STM32G0x0 series does not include a USB Type-C Power Delivery controller.

Consider adding a separate IC if you need that functionality, or switching to an STM32 chip that includes it such as the STM32G0x1 series.

https://www.st.com/en/interfaces-and-transceivers/usb-type-c-and-power-delivery-controllers.html

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TDK
Guru

The STM32G0x0 series does not include a USB Type-C Power Delivery controller.

Consider adding a separate IC if you need that functionality, or switching to an STM32 chip that includes it such as the STM32G0x1 series.

https://www.st.com/en/interfaces-and-transceivers/usb-type-c-and-power-delivery-controllers.html

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Nicolas P.
ST Employee

Hello @SJame 

You can have a look at this application example done on a NUCLEO-L4.

The idea is to sense the Rp resistors on the CC lines with an ADC.

Regards,

Nicolas

Hi Nicolas,

Thank for your update.

My current implementation is used the same way as the example you pointed to me, purely using ADC reads the voltage on CC1 and CC2 to determine the power source.

In my project, I need to detect the 15W power source (5V/3A), this logic works for most of the cases, but we noticed in few of the 15W power adapters which has the lower voltage in CC1/2 (lower than my threshold), so I'm investigating for another solution by VCONN.

So, the question I have here is that, is there any example to read and extract BMC on CC1/CC2?

B.R.

James Shih 

Hello James

No other example are planned. All the CC line decoding is planned to be done by STM32 that have UCPD peripheral.

Regards,

Nicolas

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for your update and we will plan for what we could do for our next generation.

B.R.

James Shih