cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB-ECM Enumeration over USB for STM32L072

Pavan_LohiaGroup
Associate III

Using B-L072Z-LRWAN Board, I'm trying to Enumerate the USB Port as a Ethernet Adapter.(As Device not Host)

Thereby I integrated just the USB-ECM Stack provided by the STM32 itself.

I initially had issues with Driver, Post Following the Guide/Post from @tjaekel , i.e USB ECM demo - how to setup host?  I used Belcarra USBLAN Driver, Though it got installed and is shown under Network Adapter, I see a Warning Sign for it

Pavan_LohiaGroup_0-1719381415477.png

On Linux though, It gets identified as Android Tethering Device but doesn't show up on Wireshark nor Control Panel(Under Network).

So Below are my Issues:

1. Is it Compulsory to Implement a Server Logic(LwIP, etc etc.) over the ECM Driver?
  2. Agenda of the Project is to USB Should be Enumerated as Ethernet Adapter on all OS Platforms, So Is ECM the Right Option?
  3. Can Someone Give me a Brief on, if I am to use ECM to achieve my agenda how and What are those Mandatory Components I need to include in the project.
  4. Keeping in mind the Board/Controller, STM32L072CZx, Wouldn't Implementing Server Logic use too much of memory? Just ECM Driver Integration alone uses 45.51% of RAM. As based on requirement we need RAM for other implementation too.
26 REPLIES 26

@Pavan_LohiaGroup wrote:

The Device is expected to be connected to PLC's, Motor Drives and Other Industrial Machines 

So do those things have USB Host sockets, and support USB-ECM on them?

@Andrew Neil, Thanks but Not at the privilege to have them, We wanted to have it enumerated through software.

Yes, They have USB Ports, But Not Sure and Clear about what you meant by USB-ECM on them.

My assumptions/beliefs are if our devices gets detected as a Ethernet Port, I should just redirect the Data from Actual Ethernet Port to my Device.

@Pavan_LohiaGroup wrote:

Yes, They have USB Ports, .

and you're sure that they are USB Host ports

@Pavan_LohiaGroup wrote:

Not Sure and Clear about what you meant by USB-ECM on them.

I mean, do they support USB-ECM ?

@Pavan_LohiaGroup wrote:

if our device gets detected as an Ethernet Port

If the "OS platforms" don't support USB-ECM, then that's not going to happen ...

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

So would both need a IP Stack? I understand if TCP/IP might probably need as It needs to Connect first before any Communication.

Wait a second... If your device will just passively move raw ethernet packets from host to the "LoRA radio" (translate ethernet to PPP or SLIP?) the latter will handle TCP or UDP connection, and your device does not need IP stack. If your device must do translation from TCP/UDP on behalf of the "radio", it's a different story.

> and you're sure that they are USB Host ports

Yes, I have confirmed they are USB Host Ports

> I mean, do they support USB-ECM ?

Not Out of the Box, As in General How we will be in need to install Drivers for Windows and Linux, The Same can be used too.

@Pavel A., Would it be possible to brief a little more on Ethernet to PPP or SLIP.

As You have understood, I just need to Passively move the raw ethernet packets from host to LoRa radio, I shall not modify interpret or do anything with raw Ethernet data.