cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32H7 very hot

jean
Senior

Hello dear community,

I've started using STM32H743VGT6 on a custom board I've made.

I'm testing the hardware now and I quickly detected that the temperature is really high (approx. 70°c on the top of the chip package).

I have another board, based on a STM32H743BIT6, quite similar, and the temperature of this one seems normal (approx. 40°C)

• dividing the H7 clock speed by 2 really helps to reduce the temperature, but my original clock config seems right (tested with cubeMX)
  • It's not easy for me to measure the current drawn by the H7, as the 3V3 is used by many other devices

Have you ever experienced that kind of issue?

Thanks a lot, have a nice day!

Jean

12 REPLIES 12
jean
Senior

Thanks for the AN5337 info! That's interesting. I've never thought about using a lower frequency. Every previous project using STM32F was running at max speed and the heat was low. Even my STM32H743 package running at 480MHz in a big package (LQFP-208) was not heating.

So indeed I might use a lower system frequency for my STM32H743 LQFP-100

I already have a wide, solid ground plane under the H7. I will also think about a place for a heat-sink.

tawat25
Associate

Thank you this topic i have design my board with stm32H723  i need maximum adc speed  so set clock to 550 Mhz but the chip is hot . i have down to 400 Mhz   founded temperature cool down . but adc sample rate down too. why?

Synchronous?

Check clock sources and dividers servicing the ADC.

Here we tend to unpack the RCC settings to confirm we understand the Reference Manual and what we ended up with.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..