cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32 F405 Feather Won't Connect to Arduino IDE

vs13
Associate II

I'm trying to use Arduino 2.3.2 with an STM32F405 board and I configured it to use these recommended settings, but I can't open the Serial monitor for the board. It can connect to my laptop and even upload code successfully, but I can't access the ports menu and receive Serial output from the board.

I'm able to get the Ports menu to open back up if I go into the Device Manager and add additional ports, but usually my boards use COM3 or COM5, which I cannot access through the ports menu. All of the legacy hardware I install (tried the Arduino USB Serial adapter and the STMicroelectronics Virtual COM port) will only install in ports after 5. I was only able to get it working once, and that was when I was able to connect to COM5, but I don't know what happened to allow access to COM5, and it stopped working as soon as I attempted to upload a different sketch to the board.

21 REPLIES 21

And as I think was pointed out in the other thread this is a boot-leg / counterfeit device, and does not support SWV via SWO/PB3 as it's not wired suitably. This is also not the standard ARM 10-pin connection/configuration on the "ST-LINK/V2" side

https://developer.arm.com/documentation/101416/0100/Hardware-Description/Target-Interfaces/Cortex-Debug--10-pin-

If you want a USB CDC device to manifest on the STM32F405 side you need suitable USB Device code to be running on it, either from an Arduino loader, or part of your Arduino compiled application.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

@Tesla DeLorean wrote:

And as I think was pointed out in the other thread this is a boot-leg / counterfeit device, and does not support SWV via SWO/PB3 as it's not wired suitably.

That's true! I just switched over to a STLink V3 Mini and I'm having a little bit of trouble figuring out how to connect it without the header in ST's image of the product. This is my STLink V3 Mini and it looks legitimate, and I checked the shipping details and it does seem to be genuinely from ST this time:

IMG_1324.jpg

According to ST's product description, it's supposed to come with a debug header which this chip did not, so it's a little difficult to use. 

@Tesla DeLorean wrote:

If you want a USB CDC device to manifest on the STM32F405 side you need suitable USB Device code to be running on it, either from an Arduino loader, or part of your Arduino compiled application.

How would I make sure that my sketch meets this criteria?