cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nucleo-F429ZI -- Cannot get a USB HID device to send keystrokes to the system

CatChips
Associate II

Hi Everyone!

I am pretty new to the community and STM32.  I have been trying to set up the Nucleo F429ZI board to act like a an HID keyboard and send keystrokes.  I have initialized the USB_OTG_FS to Device Only, USB_DEVICE to HID, and as far as I can tell configured the clock correctly.  My board is connected to the PC's USB port via the same port as the port I use for flashing the board.

As far as I can tell, nothing is conflict with the documentation at https://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/nucleo-f429zi.html

I tried multiple tutorials, with the latest one being: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj1_hsQ5PR0

adjusting to my board and make as necessary.

However, the system does not seem to detect the device as a keyboard nor are the keystrokes received.  Attached is my project.

This is part of the code I use to send the reports.  Any guidance is much appreciated.

extern USBD_HandleTypeDef hUsbDeviceFS;

typedef struct
{
	uint8_t MODIFIER;
	uint8_t RESERVED;
	uint8_t KEYCODE1;
	uint8_t KEYCODE2;
	uint8_t KEYCODE3;
	uint8_t KEYCODE4;
	uint8_t KEYCODE6;
} keyboardHID;

keyboardHID keyboardhid = {0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0};

int main(void)
{

/* USER CODE BEGIN 1 */

/* USER CODE END 1 */

/* MCU Configuration--------------------------------------------------------*/

/* Reset of all peripherals, Initializes the Flash interface and the Systick. */
  HAL_Init();

/* USER CODE BEGIN Init */

/* USER CODE END Init */

/* Configure the system clock */
  SystemClock_Config();

/* USER CODE BEGIN SysInit */

/* USER CODE END SysInit */

/* Initialize all configured peripherals */
  MX_GPIO_Init();
  MX_USB_DEVICE_Init();
  /* USER CODE BEGIN 2 */

/* USER CODE END 2 */

/* Infinite loop */
  /* USER CODE BEGIN WHILE */
  while (1)
  {
    /* USER CODE END WHILE */

/* USER CODE BEGIN 3 */
	  keyboardhid.KEYCODE1 = 0x04;
	  USBD_HID_SendReport(&hUsbDeviceFS, &keyboardhid, sizeof(keyboardhid));
	  HAL_Delay(50);
	  keyboardhid.KEYCODE1 = 0x00;
	  USBD_HID_SendReport(&hUsbDeviceFS, &keyboardhid, sizeof(keyboardhid));
	  HAL_Delay(1000);

}
  /* USER CODE END 3 */
}

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Amel NASRI
ST Employee

Hi @CatChips ,

A quick proposal: try first the ready to use example STM32CubeF4/Projects/STM32F429ZI-Nucleo/Applications/USB_Device/HID_Standalone. The readme file explains how it works.

Once this is done and you make sure that it is working properly, you can compare it with your project to know what is creating issue on your side.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Amel NASRI
ST Employee

Hi @CatChips ,

A quick proposal: try first the ready to use example STM32CubeF4/Projects/STM32F429ZI-Nucleo/Applications/USB_Device/HID_Standalone. The readme file explains how it works.

Once this is done and you make sure that it is working properly, you can compare it with your project to know what is creating issue on your side.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Thank you! I was able to get the example to work!