cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LDO for STM32L433?

AStol.2
Associate II

Hello, I would like to know what LDO regulator you recommend to use in my development, it uses a 7.2V Lithium battery pack. The application uses 5 GPIO's (4 output, 1 input), 1 I2C, 2 USART, 1 LPUART.

4 REPLIES 4
TDK
Guru

Powering 3.3V with an LDO from a 7.2V supply is going to cause a lot of heat. Whatever you choose, make sure it can handle that much.

If you use 100mA, the LDO is going to dissipate 100mA*(7.2V-3.3V) = 0.39W. Not a ton, but substantial. A buck converter would be more efficient.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
gregstm
Senior III

It would be helpful to know how much current your micro+peripherals will consume. Is any part of your design sensitive to power supply noise? If it is just a few milliamps and you need a low noise power supply, then a small linear regulator might be the way to go... It all depends what is important to your design eg. low cost, battery life, low noise, low shutdown current, small size,...?

AStol.2
Associate II

Hi, thanks for replying.

The uC will have its own regulator, the question is if a 150mA regulator is enough to power the uC?

On the other hand, what TDK clarifies is true, that is why the 7.2V pack first goes a main regulator that reduces it to 4.2V and then goes to the regulator dedicated to uC. My question is related to the regulator dedicated only to uC.

TDK
Guru

> The uC will have its own regulator, the question is if a 150mA regulator is enough to power the uC?

It depends on your particular application, but 150mA is very likely more than enough power. I don't think I exceed this in any of my applications. Higher capacity LDOs are easy to find though.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".