cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B-U585 Connection issue after WiFi Updated

Jenni
Associate II

I have a new "Nx_MQTT_Client" sample application that I had set up and working on the B-U585 board. I tried it on another board I had, and it said I needed to update the WiFi BIOS. It had previously been updated to v2.11.1.

I got the latest download, and updated to v2.3.4. The example's readme.md says it was made for V2.3.4.

It validates correctly. Now when I run the application on the board it hangs up at method App_Main_Thread_Entry and the command dns_create(&DnsClient). Serial monitor eventually gives me "Error: command 0x0003 timeout(10000 ms) waiting answer 1" and it never connects.

Updating the WiFi on the first board, and that no longer connects.

I just created a new Nx_MQTT_Client example, set my SSID and password, and I get the same results with both boards. Using v2.11.1 gives me the error for WiFi version. 

"Nx_Network_Basics" gives the same timeout error, along with "ERROR: Cannot connect WiFi interface!"

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jenni
Associate II

I just kept trying to update the WiFi module, and it eventually worked. One more try on one board and numerous tries on the other, but eventually it just decided to work. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Jenni
Associate II

I just kept trying to update the WiFi module, and it eventually worked. One more try on one board and numerous tries on the other, but eventually it just decided to work. 

RufusVS
Associate III

How do you update the wifi firmware?   I tried to run the stm32U5 webserver demonstration and the serial port outputs:

=======================================================================================================
============================       STM32U5 Webserver Demonstration        =============================
=======================================================================================================
ERROR: The WiFi firmware is out of date

@RufusVS did you get a response on how to update the Wifi Firmware?  I have the MB1551D (Rev D) Board and followed the instructions to download the Example IOT Web Server application and after compiling and then debugging the board with the app I get the same output referring to the WiFi firmware bein gout of date.   

This site: https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/x-wifi-emw3080b.html rfers to the update of the WiFi firmware but it only refers to Rev C of the same Dev board.  I am loathe to update my Rev D chip in case it is the wrong thing to do and it fails and bricks the WiFi.

I would appreciate any help that can be provided, please?

@vhotdog : I didn't get any response (I would hope any response would be posted in the forum as well!).  I'm with you about doing an update blindly.  A better thing to try is to either: look in the source code for the version check, and just bypass it and see if things work.  If they don't, you might need to see if you can find an older source and check the differences to see if the code is different. (or schematics of the board, if available, or at least a release sheet with rev C->D explanations).    I haven't worked on that board for a while so I don't recall if I got it working or not at this point.   I'll come back here if I find anything else out.  (My board is also MB1551D as well.)

vhotdog
Associate II

@RufusVS yes I did check the code and it is expecting v2.3.4 while the device current has v2.1.1.  I also tried to bypass the check and the example allowed connection to the Wifi,  I didn't test it fully but there is clearly the need to update the Wifi FW to v2.3.4.   I tried to follow the instructions as shown in the documentation and also here and section 7.8.3.1 of the UM2839 User Manual, but I never get any output on the serial terminal as expected (and shown in Figure 21 of the UM2939 UM (Page 27) and therefore never succeed in flashing the WiFi module to the new v2.3.4.

@Jenni do you have any advice on what I am doing wrong with the flashing of the Wifi as per the instructions I listed above? 

Is anyone else able to give advice?

@Jenni I followed your advice and retried to flash the WiFi with the latest version a number of times and eventually the serial terminal showed the output and I was able to successfully flash the module.   I cannot explain why it didn't work a number of times on the initial attempts, but it eventually worked and I was able to update the FW to v2.3.4.

@vhotdog - Thanks for posting that reply that you were able to flash the module with repeated attempts, just as @Jenni  did!   I'm sure I'll remember that when I get around to working with that board again.  I assume the IOT webserver sample worked properly after that?