cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X-NUCLEO-NFC06A1 vs. ST25R3916-EMVCO

DRyu.2
Associate II

I'm looking for a dev board for the ST25R3916 and I see two options: what would be the difference between the ST25R3916-EMVCO and X-NUCLEO-NFC06A1?

I see that the X-NUCLEO-NFC06A1 requires a separate MCU board to connect to, but is that the only difference? In terms of functionality and testing the ST25R3916, would they be equivalent? In that case, what would be the use case for the ST25R3916-EMVCO?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

ST25R3916-EMVCO is the reference design representing the contactless part of a payment terminal. It is not available from distributors but only from ST sales. It contains the example code for the EMVCo level 1 stack.

X-NUCLEO-NFC06A1 is the usual expansion board for developping applications. It can be directly connected to a STM32 NUCLEO MCU board such as NUCLEO-L476RG. Firmware demos and an NFC communication stack are provided in the ST25 embedded NFC library. This minimizes the developpment effort.

If your application is not related to paiement, I would recommand to use the X-NUCLEO-NFC06A1 (+ NUCLEO-L476RG)

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

ST25R3916-EMVCO is the reference design representing the contactless part of a payment terminal. It is not available from distributors but only from ST sales. It contains the example code for the EMVCo level 1 stack.

X-NUCLEO-NFC06A1 is the usual expansion board for developping applications. It can be directly connected to a STM32 NUCLEO MCU board such as NUCLEO-L476RG. Firmware demos and an NFC communication stack are provided in the ST25 embedded NFC library. This minimizes the developpment effort.

If your application is not related to paiement, I would recommand to use the X-NUCLEO-NFC06A1 (+ NUCLEO-L476RG)

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hello Brian,

Thanks for the response.

Because our application is not related to payment but more around NFC charging and tagging, we'll go with the X-NUCLEO-NFC06A1 (+ NUCLEO-L476RG) combination for the poller.

Regarding the listener, we saw that the ST25DVxxKC lineup would be compatible. I'm not too familiar, but what would be the main differences between the ST25DV04KC, ST25DV16KC, or ST25DV64KC models? It seems the EEPROM is the main differentiator, but what implications does the capacity of this memory have on NFC performance? Are there cost/benefit tradeoffs?

Also regarding a development board for the listener (for example the ST25DV64KC), what would be the appropriate choice? I see that there are three options: STEVAL-SMARTAG2, ST25DV64KC-DISCO, and ANT7-T-25DV64KC. Could you briefly explain what the differences would be and what the best choice for NFC charging/tagging development would be?

Thanks so much.

Also, would the poller (ST25R3916) and listener (ST25DVxxKC) combination be WLC 2.0 compliant?

Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

as the initial question related to the poller board has been answered, I would suggest to creat a new post related to the listener board so that I can forward to the relevant team.

Thanks in advance

BT

Sounds good, thanks