cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST25R95/CR95HF Wake-up from Hibernate

TMido.1
Associate II

I'm using a X-NUCLEO-NFC03A1 board with a NRF52 as host controller. I'm able to read/write commands and set the chip to WFE mode with Tag Detection and IRQ pulse as WU sources.

Now I'm setting it to hibernate and, as far as I understood from the datasheet, it should go from hibernate to active state only by setting the IRQ_OUT pin to low state, and then I'd be able to read the chip response that should return the WU source as IRQ pulse (0x000108).

However, I seem to be unable to use the chip once it's back from hibernate state, and it only works again after I send a RESET command. I found this strange as the startup sequence shows it differently. Is this correct or am I doing something wrong?

ps. I also get 0x0000 as a first response from the chip, which is also strange as it is not mapped as a valid response in the datasheet for an IDLE command.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

here are some clarifications of the Idle command behavior.

The Idle command does not return a reply in case of low pulse IRQ_IN wake up.

In the X-CUBE-NFC3 firmware code:

• the reading of the reply is conditional (i.e. if IRQ_OUT is low, the reply is read, otherwise the code continue).
  • Then in case of Idle command being killed by IRQ_IN, a SPI Poll command is sent to check the readiness of the ST25R95 (and bit #2 "Data can be sent to the ST25R95 when set." in the flags is checked)

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

I have some questions to better understand your issue:

• do you use the UART or the SPI interface? I guess this is the SPI interface as you mentioned the RESET command, but prefer to make sure.
  • If using the SPI interface, do you use the SPI Poll control or do you wait forIRQ_OUT event before reading the reply from the ST25R95. Note that In low power consumption mode the device does not support SPI poll mechanism. Application has to rely on IRQ_OUT before reading the answer to the Idle command (see ST25R95 datasheet §5.9).
  • you mentioned using IRQ_OUT for the wake up source. Is it a typo? (IRQ_OUT is not one of the wake source whereas IRQ_IN is one of the wake up source)
  • do you use X-CUBE-NFC3 library or your own driver?
  • can you provide the hex value of the IDLE command sent to the ST25R95

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
TMido.1
Associate II

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the quick response!

First lemme answer your questions:

1. I'm using SPI interface and the IRQ_OUT before reading the chip response.
  2. Oops, it was a typo indeed. I use IRQ_IN as WU source.
  3. I am using my own driver
  4. The HEX I send for hibernation is: 0x07 0e 08 04 00 04 00 18 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 (the same as in the datasheet)

I found out that it's not the RESET command that is waking it up, but the IRQ_IN inside of it as expected (yay)

BUT (there's always a but) I also noticed that right after sending a IDLE-hibernate command, the chip sets the IRQ_OUT to low and replies with that 0x00 00 hex. I assumed this was a confirmation that it went to hibernation, but this is not stated in the datasheet...

My mistake was that I was expecting this response (thus my semaphore was waiting for a low IRQ_OUT) only after waking up, and it was also expecting a 0x00 01 08, and not 0x00 00<anything else>.

1. Is this the expected response for hibernate state?
  2. I'm writing some tests and I can't seem to set it to receive the "confirmation" for hibernation in the second time I hibernate/wakeup - hibernate/wakeup. Is there a reason for this?

Thanks again!

Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

in §5.9.4 of the Datasheet it is stated that "The wake-up flag value is NOT significant when returning to Ready state from hibernate state or after a POR" , therefore I guess the device does return 0x00 00 when returning from hibernate state. I'll do some experiments to confirm this behavior and will ask a datasheet update to clarify this behavior.

The reply to the Idle command occurs:

• immediately in case of error (e.g. 0.82 00)
  • otherwise only when ST25R95 exits WFE mode

I suspect that the IRQ_IN may be somehow floating and causing premature exit from WFE. Do you have a 3.3kOhm pull up resistor on the IRQ_IN signal? See R12 resistor in schematics in UM2479. Can you probe IRQ_IN, IRQ_OUT and SPI signals with a logic analyzer and send me the trace?

Thanks

Rgds

BT

Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

here are some clarifications of the Idle command behavior.

The Idle command does not return a reply in case of low pulse IRQ_IN wake up.

In the X-CUBE-NFC3 firmware code:

• the reading of the reply is conditional (i.e. if IRQ_OUT is low, the reply is read, otherwise the code continue).
  • Then in case of Idle command being killed by IRQ_IN, a SPI Poll command is sent to check the readiness of the ST25R95 (and bit #2 "Data can be sent to the ST25R95 when set." in the flags is checked)

Rgds

BT

TMido.1
Associate II

Hi,

Sorry for the delay. I had managed to solve this issue by setting the power up sequence delays exactly as in the datasheet (I had set with a bit of margin before).

Apart from this, it works as Brian described in the previous answers.