cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST25R3916 Datasheet DS12484 Rev 1Typo/Errors and potential improvements for future documentation

ben_hw_sw
Associate II

ST25R3916 Datasheet DS12484 Rev 1 Typo/Errors:

• Page 22/123 Table 3. SPI operation modes (continued) FIFO Read Pattern is wrong C5 shall be set to 0
  • Page 79/123 §4.3.46 Antenna tuning control register 1 Type shall be set to RW (and not Read Only)
  • Page 79/123 §4.3.47 Antenna tuning control register 2 Type shall be set to RW (and not Read Only)

ST25R3916 Datasheet missing details/chapters about how to use the registers:

It will be very good to have some chapter to guide users/developers how to configure the different chipset common mode like:

• ISO Type A/B/F/V configuration and how to Read UID of Tag A/B/F/V
    • I understand we can find that information indirectly by reading the code of STSW-ST25RFAL002 (RF/NFC abstraction layer (RFAL) for the ST25R3916) but it would be convenient to explain that in the datasheet with some Logic Analyzer/Oscilloscope screenshot (using SPI) ...
  • NFC card emulation modes configuration with example to emulate a Tag UID for Tag Type A/F
  • P2P mode configuration with example
  • Other advanced configuration explanation will be welcome especially related to features like:
    • Automatic antenna tuning (AAT) algorithm and how to do it
    • Squelsh / Gain reduction registers how to use them
    • Stream mode / Transparent mode example usage

Note: I have developped a sigrok / PulseView plugin for ST25R3916 which will be released as Open Source which have helped me a lot to better understand how work the chipset (with the help of ST25R3916 Discovery Board)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ulysses HERNIOSUS
ST Employee

​Hi,

a new DS version is now available.

BR, Ulysses

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Ulysses HERNIOSUS
ST Employee

Hi,

thanks for your input on our DS. What you find on the web is only the first version which does not contain much information of how to use the device. We are currently working on a new version of the DS which I hope to be released soon.

However I have the feeling that it will still not answer all your questions. If you want to use the device without our drivers you will need to study a few things more:

• Until the new DS becomes available you can study the DS of ST25R3911B. Many concepts and even register bits are identical and this DS has quite some how-to-use ST25R3911B information.
  • Study the ApplicationNotes of ST25R3916, you had questions on AAT, they may be answered in AN5322
  • Protocol details which are responsibility of the software will not be explained in the DS. If you want to implement you own driver you will need to study the standards (e.g. NFC Forum (esp. Digital and Activity), ISO14443, ISO15693, ISO18092, EMVCo, etc.)

Regards, Ulysses

ben_hw_sw
Associate II

Thank you for your very fast answer

Do you have an estimated release date for new ST25R3916 Datasheet ?

Ulysses HERNIOSUS
ST Employee

Hi,

I would expect this to happen by end of November.

BR, Ulysses

ben_hw_sw
Associate II

Do you have an update about estimated date for updated Datasheet ?

Ulysses HERNIOSUS
ST Employee

​Hi,

a new DS version is now available.

BR, Ulysses

ben_hw_sw
Associate II

Thanks for the feedback and new DS version

I see there is big improvement in the new datasheet (with lot of things added) and that all Typos / Errors I have reported are fixed