cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restore SMARTAG1

BRalc.1
Associate

I was investigating NFC functionality on STEVAL-SMARTAG1 board, and something went wrong. Most likely I mistyped a symbol while writing one of the registers using NFC Tap iOS app. The tag is no longer recognizable by the app, see the screenshot attached. I could not find any firmware to restore the tag. Is there a way to restore it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi Boris,

the Firmware inside the STM32L031K of the STEVAL-SMARTAG1 is supposed to reformat the tag in case the CC in block #0 is incorrect (see NfcType5_NDEFInitHeader() in SmarTagAppStart()). The issue you described may be caused by an incorrect FW (in case someone else has used this board) or an HW issue on the board. I would suggest to reload the FW from  FP-SNS-SMARTAG1 using the procedure described in UM2389. You can also enable the printf (see the readme.txt file in the package).

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

the firmware package for the STEVAL_SMARTAG1 is FP-SNS-SMARTAG1. It includes sources and binaries. Make sure to read UM2389 (Getting started with the STM32Cube function pack for IoT node with Dynamic NFC Tag, environmental and motion sensors).

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
victor laraison
ST Employee

Hi ,

I'm in charge of developing the iOS NFC tap application.

Regarding your issue :

• Please, could you detail more what did you write in register ?
  • I suspect that your CCFile is wrong. Please, could you tell me the magic number value when you display Tag information ? Normally it should be "E2"
  • Otherwise, what are the values returned by getSystemInfo ? Go in Menu "More" => "CoreNFC" => GetSystemInfo

Thx and br,

BRalc.1
Associate

Hi Victor,

Thanks for the message.

NFCTap - I tried to enable FTM, no success. STException Command Failed. Before that I spent considerable amount of time trying to do the same thing from my own app. I was able to read MB_Mode but could not write into it to enable FTM.

Your assumption about CCFile is correct. I tried to get any write command passing, CCFile was the first in the list. I guess it was not the best move. Although I wish to believe that I can make the tag working again.

SystemInfo - please see screenshot attached.

Thank you,

Boris.

Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi Boris,

the Firmware inside the STM32L031K of the STEVAL-SMARTAG1 is supposed to reformat the tag in case the CC in block #0 is incorrect (see NfcType5_NDEFInitHeader() in SmarTagAppStart()). The issue you described may be caused by an incorrect FW (in case someone else has used this board) or an HW issue on the board. I would suggest to reload the FW from  FP-SNS-SMARTAG1 using the procedure described in UM2389. You can also enable the printf (see the readme.txt file in the package).

Rgds

BT