cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions to me use a 6V panel with SPV1040

nilavghosh
Associate

Hi Team,

I am looking to use a solar panel which gives 6v and I want to use the spv1040 mppt converter.

What would you recommend I use with spv1040 as it has a max input of 5.5v. Is using a buck converter before the SPV1040 recommended?

Regards,

Nilav 

6 REPLIES 6
RhSilicon
Lead

If you are going to use lithium battery, it might be better to compare with IC TP4056 (dedicated to charge lithium-ion battery).

Harvey White
Senior III

You have a number of options.

1. find a low dropout regulator (say 100 mv or less), rated at the current you need.  Make sure that the maximum voltage input is 7 to 8 volts or more (to all situations).  I know of some where the maximum input voltage is 6, but that's for a 3.3 volt output.  These are surface mount chips at 200 to 300 ma.
  2. arrange a current limiter by putting in an NPN transistor.  Take the output from the emitter.  From the base run a 5.2 volt (easy value to find) zener to ground.  Take a 100 ohm resistor and run it to the 6 volt input, the collector also goes to the 6 volt input.  This is an emitter follower with the base clamped to 5.1 volts (or more if you want).  The emitter is 0.6 volts less (4.6 volts for a 5.2 volt zener).  Not efficient, but it works

Definitely not elegant solutions, especially the last.

Do not use LM79 series regulators, they need at least a 3 volt greater supply, so a 5.0 volt output regulator would need 8 volts input.

There are some chinese made buck regulators, but you must be careful with the allowed voltage drop across them.

I don't know what the SPV1040's output voltage is, but there might be other substitutes.

a VERY crude result would be a high wattage zener diode at 5.2 volts and a series resistor. 

For a better answer, you need to consider your maximum current drain, the maximum expected voltage, and your regulator's desired output (3.3 volts?  5.0 volts?)

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

I recommend using a SPV1050 instead of the SP1040, with which you can also build up a buck-boost. This allows you to process up to 9V via MPPT, for example.

Hope that helps?

Regards /Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Good to know about this option, I would like to make a commercial suggestion:

I would suggest that a profile be created on the Aliexpress website, I found a reference to an activity focused on China, so I believe it may not be too difficult to achieve this. Many independent developers look for product samples on the Aliexpress website, in some countries there are commercial agreements to facilitate the processing of the shipment of goods from these types of websites.

(I only found an ad for this SPV1050 IC on the Aliexpress website: https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-SPV1050.html)

It would also be interesting if this IC had a Battery Fuel Gauge.

Umm, I can't find anywhere that the TO wants to charge a LiIO battery?

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.