cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STEF01 SOA and reaction time

DamianP
Associate II

I have read the STEF01 datasheet looking for how STEF01 will respond to output short-circuit hard. After reading it I have no clue. What is the reaction time of the fuse to short circuit? Other vendos provide such informations.

Second issue is that there is no info about SOA of internal pass element. There are no clues to guess that power limiter will be triggered or not.
Other people also asked such questions on this forum, no response so far. Please respond or add missing data to datasheet.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DamianP
Associate II

Finally i owned the STEVAL-EFUSE01 and measured what i needed by myself. Setup was a 24V 10A PSU, unmodified evalboard, auto restart jumper inserted. Current probe was 50mOhm shunt. See the picture below. It is a input current (yellow) and input voltage (green) while STEF01 output short-circuit. Short-circuit peak is nice limited to 7A, reaction time is in microseconds. After 8ms thermal protection start to cycling the output current. Hope it will help someone.

STEF01_short24V_4A.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Well, STEF01 should not be confused with a classic fuse because it offers considerably more extensive functions.

The response time of the STEF01 cannot be found in the data sheet because it depends on the ambient conditions, the settings and the external circuitry. The last two points are reflected in the data sheet, section 5.1.4 (Current limit), the first is discussed there in section 5.2 (Protection circuits). In addition, it must be taken into account that the thermal protection is also influenced by the current load and the ambient temperature. All of this is application-specific and therefore not part of the general data sheet.

Hope that helps?

Good luck!
/Peter

A friendly side note: the community is primarily intended for mutual help among users, for direct and personal support there is the online system OLS. So if nobody has answered here or for other questions, then obviously none of the other community users can or want to. Incidentally, the ST Community Terms and Conditions mention in Article 7:

Member generated Content and User cautions

7.1 This is a public Community where We strongly encourage collaboration and knowledge sharing.

7.2 While ST experts do participate in answering questions, We welcome and rely also on the vast knowledge of our Users to help their peers.

7.3 ST does not guarantee responses to every question posted in the Community, yet We will provide programs and engagement to make the response rate and availability of useful content as high as possible.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
DamianP
Associate II

I see, in my haste I forgot that this is a community forum. Sry, thx.

Could someone measure and share STEF01 reaction (where reaction time is visible) to output short-circuit while configured to 4A, operating from 24V? Share also details about PSU or battery, whatever you used as the power source.
You can help me and many people that search about this chip. BTW for some other people you could share result at say 12V. 

DamianP
Associate II

Finally i owned the STEVAL-EFUSE01 and measured what i needed by myself. Setup was a 24V 10A PSU, unmodified evalboard, auto restart jumper inserted. Current probe was 50mOhm shunt. See the picture below. It is a input current (yellow) and input voltage (green) while STEF01 output short-circuit. Short-circuit peak is nice limited to 7A, reaction time is in microseconds. After 8ms thermal protection start to cycling the output current. Hope it will help someone.

STEF01_short24V_4A.png