cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST1S41 step-down switching regulator destroys itself on low impedance power source

TFrie.1
Associate

Hi,

I installed 25 of the ST1S41 on a PCB and tested them with different Bench Power Supply and a electronic load or motors on the output. Everything worked very well till I swapped the Bench supply for a lithium Battery. Once I connected the Battery the switching regulator chips literally exploded. Has someone a explanation for that behavior and/or a solution for the problem?

Another Test I want to do but have not so far is to connect a little circuit between battery and converter that ramps the voltage up slowly (maybe 10ms).

Additional Info:

For the PCB Layout I followed the recommendations in the datasheet closely (see attached circuits and layout). There is a 100u capacity at input side of each converter and a 47u cap on output. The enable pin of the chip was pulled low when the battery had been connected. I was able to reproduce the behavior with one isolated chip (with only the necessary components connected)

Help and elucidation is much appreciated,

Best regards,

Tobias Friebel

2 REPLIES 2
LCE
Principal

Interesting test, did you find the cause of the problem?

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

After a rough check of the layout, I could not find any noticeable errors.
I would be interested in the parameters of the bench supply and the lithium battery, i.e. voltage and internal resistance?

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.