cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power good (PG) pin on LD39100

lamikr
Associate

Hi

I am looking some guidance how to use the PG pin to indicate the power good mode with fixed versions of LD39100. (3.3 and 1.8V versions.) I plan to use the 3.3V output as an input for the fixed 1v8 ldo version, so ideally all I need to monitor to verify the functionality is the PG pin from 1.8V version of LDO.

PG pins I plan to pull-up high to Vin and datasheet suggest using a resistor between 100kOhm and 1Mohm. I assume that with the fixed 3.3V version of LD39100, the voltage should be high enough to power up the LED directly but with the 1.8V ldo case, I should use it more like an IO pin and then supply the LED voltage from LDO 3.3V?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome @lamikr, to the community!

If I understand your description correctly, you want to connect an LED to each PG to display the status, right?

In this case, the pull-up would be the current limiting resistor of the respective LED, so that it can be calculated instead of the recommended 100k...1M depending on the voltage used (max current 6mA). For the regulator for 3.3V VIN must be greater by the dropout voltage, so it should be sufficient even for white LEDs.

For the 1.8V regulator, you should indeed connect the LED to 3.3V, i.e. VIN of the 1.8V regulator. However, this still excludes white LEDs, as PG has a drop of about 0.4V at 6mA. The resulting approx. 2.9V for the LED and its series resistor can then only be used for red, yellow and some green LEDs, because some variants of green have too high and therefore unsuitable forward voltages.

However, you should bear in mind that PG will drive the LED if the voltage is not correct. This means that the LED does not light up when the voltage is at the correct value, but when it is below 80%.

Hope that answers your question?

Regards
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome @lamikr, to the community!

If I understand your description correctly, you want to connect an LED to each PG to display the status, right?

In this case, the pull-up would be the current limiting resistor of the respective LED, so that it can be calculated instead of the recommended 100k...1M depending on the voltage used (max current 6mA). For the regulator for 3.3V VIN must be greater by the dropout voltage, so it should be sufficient even for white LEDs.

For the 1.8V regulator, you should indeed connect the LED to 3.3V, i.e. VIN of the 1.8V regulator. However, this still excludes white LEDs, as PG has a drop of about 0.4V at 6mA. The resulting approx. 2.9V for the LED and its series resistor can then only be used for red, yellow and some green LEDs, because some variants of green have too high and therefore unsuitable forward voltages.

However, you should bear in mind that PG will drive the LED if the voltage is not correct. This means that the LED does not light up when the voltage is at the correct value, but when it is below 80%.

Hope that answers your question?

Regards
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.