cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

L6470 eval board X-NUCLEO-IHM02A1 give error thermal shutdown and warning status

chwaitang
Associate

Hi All,

I have been stuck for a week with this.

7I can read and write to the registers of both L6470 correctly.

And I can also send commands properly to L6470 via the SPI from STM32F407 discovery kit.

However, when I try to start driving the motor, the motor never runs but I can see LED on BUSY output light up for some time with RUN command.

At first the FLAG output is cleared after GETSTATUS command with TH_SD and TH_WRN bits cleared to zero.

But after some fiddling with the firmware, I discovered now I can't reset both TH_SD and TH_WRN bits with GETSTATUS command. I can mask out these bits by disabling the thermal related flags in ALARM_EN register so these bits are never set in the status register of L6470. But problem is the red FLAG LED remains lighted up and cannot be cleared with GETSTATUS command now.

All these while, the stepper motor attached to L6470 output never runs and the chip never gets hot at all. This has happened with two X-NUCLEO-IHM02A1 boards.

Also, the yellow BUSY LED will still light up when RUN command is issued. But motor never runs. Reading MOT_STstatus bits from status register gives some clue that the motor is supposedly in constant speed or acceleration mode after issuing the RUN command, But the motor never runs, and there is only about 2 to 3V DC at the bridge outputs. 

I am powering the L6470 with 12V for VS and 3.3V for VDD (from STS14 on eval board). SW inputs and STBY/RESET pins are tied to 3.3V. 

I get the same thing across both X-NUCLEO-IHM02A1 boards now. I am assuming now with TH_SD and TH_WRN bits active, the driver bridge is disabled. How do overcome this error? (Note: Both L6470 eval boards are at room temp and I never observed them go beyond room temp). And the motor has never run even after issuing RUN command even though the BUSY LED lights up. Also the BUSY LED behaviour remains the same after the TH_SD and TH_WRN issue where the red FLAG LED for both L6470 (in daisy chain configuration) cannot be cleared with GETSTATUS command

What am I missing here? What is proper initialisation sequence for L6470? Do I need to get another X-NUCLEO-IHM02A1 board again?

Regards

CW

0 REPLIES 0