Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Huge) problems with STSPIN32F0 custom PCB

Max Schachtschabel
Associate II
Posted on January 26, 2018 at 17:45

Greetings!

After some time experimenting with the STEVAL-SPIN3201 Motorcontroller board, we took it a step further and build our own little PCB with the STSPIN32F0, three power half bridges and an additional Bluetooth chip for external communication (the final goal is the wireless control of two seperate Motors using one joystick).

We pretty much build our board very closely to the schematics of the evaluation board, so that the existing software will run on the custom board just as good as before; the only difference being the shunt resistor values on the three motor phases (2x 0.01 Ohm in parallel instead of 2x 0.02 Ohm in parallel). I adapted the software by altering the 'RSHUNT' value in the 'Power stage parameters.h' from 0.01 to 0.005.

Like stated, the rest of the circuits and components were designed to work exactly like the evaluation board. However, once we connected and tested our PCB, we arrived at a point were none of us knew what to make of the observed behavior: After the STSPIN32F0 was successfully flashed with the software, the Hall sensors and motor cables connected and a supply voltage of 11.1V was given by an external power adapter, a modest speed ramp was set in the software's main-routine and the motor started flinching a few times, before staying still and vibrating fiercly. The power adapter reported that the current limit of 5A was reached and the voltage dropped rapidly, before we disconnected the System from the power source.

Wondering what went wrong, we did a few more tries, until we noticed that after another reset, the STSPIN32F0 did not respond anymore and there were no 3.3V on the VDD pin measurable. Probably having fried one of our Motorcontrollers, we started from scratch and build a new PCB, carefully managing the voltage pins and connections and making sure that no soldering error could occur. We tested the board again without the motor attached, and measured the outputs of the three gate drivers, which behaved exactly like on the evaluation board.

Next step, same results: The motor went crazy, the voltage dropped for a few seconds to about 8V and the chip played dead after a few tries.

On a third try, we connected the SW pin to GND and supplied the VDD pin with another external power adapter, hoping that the internal DCDC buck regulator could not cause any harm to itself and the rest of the board, since the internal control should detect this and latch off (as stated in the datasheet under 'External optional 3.3 V supply voltage', page 22). Sadly, we ended with the same result: no running motor and the external 3.3V power source reported a short circuit.

Having used 2 seperate boards and destroyed 3 micro chips, we are know freshly out of ideas and not eager to fry any more hardware. The following questions remained open:

- Why does the controller think he would need 5A and more to rotate a small BLDC motor without any load?

- What exactly is the cause of the chip destruction? 

- Why do we observe this behaviour when we are using the same exact hard- and software as before with the evaluation board?

We would be very glad if someone can help us figure this out soon.

Any suggestions or feedback is much appreciated!

So long,

Max

#steval-spin3201 #stspin32f0
15 REPLIES 15
Mad Max
Associate
Posted on February 23, 2018 at 19:01

What Mosfets do you use on your custom PCB ? The same that are used on the STEVAL3201 Board ?

If you different ones maybe the gate driver is not strong enough to drive the mosfets ?

It's just a guess from my side as I am still looking for the right mosfets for my application and I have to think of the capabilities of the internal driver as well ...

Misha K
Associate III
Posted on March 06, 2018 at 12:15

Max, did you by any chance resolve your problem? I'm having similar problem: my custom board works fine with 12V supply, works fine with 36V supply when motor is disconnected, but STSPIN32 chip dies immediately with 36V when motor is connected. Any ideas?

Posted on March 09, 2018 at 01:13

the inductive feedback may be killing you.

do you have a scope ?

I would suggest the ground wire is not thick enough.

a thick ground wire to all parties.

how long is the cable ?

the inductive feedback can be 100V, you would imagine the original board has spike suppression,

it seems you have missed something, probably the huge ground plane and spike suppressors.

show me the link to the circuit diagram.

Misha K
Associate III
Posted on March 09, 2018 at 11:19

TJ thank you for your comment, can I please have another one

I do have a scope, however I can capture only one event and then the controller dies. And I'm not even sure which point to probe. I'm trying to collect more clues before I try that

Power cable is 1.5 meters. Driver to motor is 10cm.

Question: OK, I can use overvoltage limiting IC like this one: 

https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/products/power/supervisors-voltage-monitors-sequencers/MAX6398.html

this will protect me from overfoltage on the power rail. What if it comes from the motor windings itself? What can I do about that?

Thank you very much, I hope you respond

T J
Lead
Posted on March 09, 2018 at 14:41

I found 6 datasheets pertaining to your question,

I read all the datasheets for 30 minutes, you ask us to fix your issues, but you don't answer questions.

This work is not trivial.

T J
Lead
Posted on March 10, 2018 at 02:28

its all in the motor drive circuits, can you send that ?

Did you ever make a switch mode power inverter ?

these are all the same parts, you are generating huge spikes.

Which Fets are you using ?

can you see the G-S breakdown voltage, this is usually where the smoke starts.from.

are you using a stepper motor ?

if it is wired incorrectly, it is your problem.

is it a 3pole stepper ?

to prove the success of your circuit, replace the motor with 3 resistors. say 10x -100x more resistance.

then with your scope, check that the 'poles' of each resistor are being driven at 180degrees.

This will prove if the wiring is correct. ( which is likely your issue)

motor circuits please?

Misha K
Associate III
Posted on March 10, 2018 at 02:12

TJ your help is highly appreciated, sorry for not being as collaborative as you are

I attached the schematic.

My main confusion is where the overvoltage spikes might occur: on the power rail or on the motor windings. Power supply spikes I can take care of. Motor spikes I have no idea.0690X00000609sbQAA.png

Misha K
Associate III
Posted on March 10, 2018 at 03:15

its all in the motor drive circuits, can you send that ?

STSPIN32F0 has 3-phase driver integrated. This is why it can drive MOSFETS directly. It also has 3.3V buck converter integrated. That is the beauty of it! So I don't have any other schematics to show you except what you see in the picture above. If I did not understand you correctly please explain.

Did you ever make a switch mode power inverter?

No I have not actually

>:(

You are talking to beginner.

these are all the same parts, you are generating huge spikes.

Yes I believe so. My problem is what to do about it...

Which Fets are you using ?

I mentioned them in the screenshot. These ones: 

https://assets.nexperia.com/documents/data-sheet/PSMN5R5-60YS.pdf

can you see the G-S breakdown voltage, this is usually where the smoke starts.from.

Vgs MAX = 20V.

HOWEVER! This is

STSPIN32F0 that dies, not mosfets. I can tell because it does not generate 3.3V any more. If I turn the board on without motor I can see the led. If I do it with motors, it dies. Does it light up for a second? - I'm not sure.

are you using a stepper motor ?

No actually, I'm using this gimbal motor: 

http://www.iflight-rc.com/ipower-motor-gbm8028-90t-brushless-gimbal-motor.html

if it is wired incorrectly, it is your problem.

I don't think there is a way to wire it incorrectly.

is it a 3pole stepper?

Nope.

to prove the success of your circuit, replace the motor with 3 resistors. say 10x -100x more resistance.

I'm afraid I have no suitable resistors right now. However a) it works at 12V with motor and it works at 36V with no motor. Only 36V with motor kills it.

then with your scope, check that the 'poles' of each resistor are being driven at 180degrees.

Successful operation on 12V proves that.

motor circuits please?

Sorry, as I said before I don't know what else I can give you. Please explain.

Also many thanks for your help. It is greatly appreciated on this end, I promise you

Posted on March 10, 2018 at 06:22

ok, I found the fets on the schematic, very small to notice it...

any way, I think you have EMF.

I think the easy fix is at the power source.

what kind of motor are you driving ?

0690X0000060A4MQAU.png