cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to select half and microstep mode with L6219 ?

jders.1
Associate

3 REPLIES 3
Cristiana SCARAMEL
ST Employee

Hello @jders.1​ and welcome to the ST Community.

The inputs configuration for half-step driving is shown in the Figure 4 (page 8) of the L6219 datasheet

To implement a microstepping driving, a variable voltage proportional to the desired output current must be applied to each of the reference pins (VREF1, VREF2). The the two inputs voltage are rectified sine-wave voltages with a phase delay of 90°.

The inputs configuration can be full-step driving or the half-step to improve the performance

at the zero crossover of the current.

The ST portfolio offers more advanced devices for microstepping operation, in the "Stepper Motor Drivers" product selector you can find the best fitting according your application requirements.

In particular, L6228 or STSPIN820 (device with voltage/current ratings closer to L6219) integrate the control logic for easier microstepping driving.

Let me know if this info is useful to you. If so, consider to mark it as best answer by clicking the label "Select as Best".

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution"
jders.1
Associate

Cristiana,

Thks for your answer,

L6219 seems too complicated to drive microstepping, I am more looking for a digital input to set up the stepping configuration.

As far as I can see from the datasheets, L6228 is only able to drive full or half step but not microstepping.

STSPIN820 looks perfect but the QFN pckage is not hat esay to implement.

Both product are out of stock in the main dealers !

Hi @jders.1​,

L6228 is able to manage microstepping driving, refer to the Application Notes AN2839 for more details (starting from page 27).

For sales inquiry you can contact our ST sales office.

You can refine your search at LINK selecting "Sales Office and Representatives" and your country.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution"