cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know the package thermal impedance for the Powerstep01?

MCLEM.1
Associate II

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @MCLEM.1​,

I can share some measurements made on our EVLPOWERSTEP01 demonstration board (4-layers board, for layout reference you can find the Gerber files in the "CAD Resources" tab).

Testing the board in full-step mode, where all power MOSFET are working, we obtained a thermal impedance of about 14 °C/W.

So, with accurate board layout, there should be no problem in managing your power rating.

I hope this post can help you; if so, consider to mark it as best answer by clicking the label "Select as Best".

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Cristiana SCARAMEL
ST Employee

Hello @MCLEM.1​ and welcome to the ST Community.

For this kind of custom package with multiple dice and exposed pads it is complex to calculate the thermal impedance.

The thermal performances for this package are strongly dependent from board layout.

What is your concern about knowing this parameter?

I am using FloTherm thermal simulation software to check component temperatures. For expected 3.3W power dissipation of the PowerStep01 in this application I need the thermal impedance to to get an idea of the package temperature rise.

Hi @MCLEM.1​,

I understand you point, but there are no models available for this device for the abovementioned reasons.

Hi @MCLEM.1​,

I can share some measurements made on our EVLPOWERSTEP01 demonstration board (4-layers board, for layout reference you can find the Gerber files in the "CAD Resources" tab).

Testing the board in full-step mode, where all power MOSFET are working, we obtained a thermal impedance of about 14 °C/W.

So, with accurate board layout, there should be no problem in managing your power rating.

I hope this post can help you; if so, consider to mark it as best answer by clicking the label "Select as Best".

Hi,

That number sounds a reasonable Theta-Junction-Ambient. I've also have information from our PowerStep01 App support contact that from experimental test data the Theta-Junction-Case Rj-c = 0.222 K/W

Hi @MCLEM.1​,

yes, I am referring to thermal resistance junction to ambient calculated with tests on our EVLPOWERSTEP01 demonstration board.