cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anybody have a data sheet or informations about the ST part "GP 717"?

infiniteWays
Associate

Hi ST community,

we were unfortunate enough to get some magic smoke from an old Hitachi IDE hard drive.

It was possible to identify that the 12V and GND rails are shorted together and it's because of a diode (at least it is labelled with a "D") which basically broke in half.

The marking on the part is "ST GP717" - you can find a photograph attached.

Does anybody have a datasheet or some information on this part? I was not able to find anything. The hard drive is from around 2007.

Thanks!

Dennis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome, @Dennis Schäfter​, to the community!

It is not a diode, but a bidirectional 400W Transil (transient voltage suppressor). The marking is AA, which stands for SMAJ5.0CA.

Yes, this Transil was made in 2007 (indicated by the leftmost '7' of GP 717), and so is your hard drive, probably.

After the cause of the magic smoke has been found and eliminated, good luck with the repair!

If the problem is resolved, please mark this topic as answered by selecting Select as best. This will help other users find that answer faster.

/Peter

<edit>It is not a discontinued, but an active product, which is why I removed this topic.</edit>

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome, @Dennis Schäfter​, to the community!

It is not a diode, but a bidirectional 400W Transil (transient voltage suppressor). The marking is AA, which stands for SMAJ5.0CA.

Yes, this Transil was made in 2007 (indicated by the leftmost '7' of GP 717), and so is your hard drive, probably.

After the cause of the magic smoke has been found and eliminated, good luck with the repair!

If the problem is resolved, please mark this topic as answered by selecting Select as best. This will help other users find that answer faster.

/Peter

<edit>It is not a discontinued, but an active product, which is why I removed this topic.</edit>

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
infiniteWays
Associate

Hello Peter,

I completely ignored that this can of course also be a date code and that the AA can be the marking ��

Thank you very much for this answer and also for the good luck, let's see if this is fixable!

All the best,

Dennis