cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

48V BLDC motor controller for EV application

Jana
Associate II

hi, i am working for finding BLDC motor control evaluation board for my EV application.

from ST -- > found STEVAL-SPIN3202 from the website. i would like to know the details of the STEVAL-SPIN3202 -- max peak current withstanding capability and any demo project for the BLDC motor controller with trapezoidal and FOC available.

8 REPLIES 8
Cristiana SCARAMEL
ST Employee

The STEVAL-SPIN3202 three-phase brushless DC motor driver board is an evaluation board based on the STSPIN32F0A and STD140N6F7 MOSFETs. It provides an affordable and easy-to-use solution for the implementation of low voltage motor driving applications.

In particular this board is designed for sensored or sensorless vector control - FOC and six-step algorithms with single shunt sensing.

Ratings: Input voltage from 7 V to 45 V, Output current up to 15 Arms

​Hi you can find all the info about STEVAL-SPIN3202 in the dedicate page.

Jana
Associate II

Thanks for the info.

i would like to have any demo or guidance for implementation. shall i use the same for 48V motor operation ?

is any modular concept that shall i replace the MOSFET for higher current rating.

​The limit of 45 V is due to the STSPIN32F0A voltage ratings.

I can suggest to use the STSPIN32F0251 (link of datasheet) a 250 V three-phase controller with MCU.

You can evaluate the device with the EVSPIN32F0251S1 board.

The board has a single-shunt sensing topology, and both the field-oriented control (FOC) and sensored or sensorless 6‑step control can be implemented.

Ratings: Input voltage from 20 V to 120 V DC/AC, STD17NF25 MOSFETs power stage (VDS = 250 V, RDS(on) max.= 0.165 Ω).

Thanks for the reply... i was checking data sheet and his is AC voltage input to the board.

my end application is battery operated electric vehicle. where as i have to use battery instead of AC line... are you suggesting this will help for my application.

and one more observation it can support 16A peak... but my operating current itself 20A... is any possibility to have high current rating board with battery input.

and i noticed that is that board compatible for both AC as well DC... i am seeing---> Input voltage from 15 VAC (20 VDC) to 120 VAC (170 VDC).. this means shall i connect 48V battery to the board input....

if yes only the question is how to manage the current...

If you need more current you can change the power stage, the board can be populated with any IGBT or Power MOSFET in DPAK or powerFLAT 6x5 package.

The 16 Apeak is the overcurrent threshold t protection based on the STSPIN32F0251 integrated comparator.

You can change the threshold through external component, more details in the user manual UM2620 paragraph 6.3

hello,

can you please confirm this evaluation board will support DC input voltage ? shall i directly connect to battery of 48V to the board ?

You can apply the DC voltage directly to J4 AC main connector, the polarity does no matter due to bridge rectifiers.

In this case on HV bus there will be a voltage drop due to the diodes.

Otherwise you can remove the bridge D14 and connect the DC input to the pin 1 (positive) and 4 (negative) of the removed component.