cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution for measuring 4-20mA current non-invasively

Maihach
Associate II

I have a development project to monitor some information in an industrial environment in which sensors are built into the board. But I will need to add a modification that allows non-invasive readings of sensors already installed in companies that follow the 4 to 20ma reading standard. I thought about using the hall effect sensor, but as I haven't worked with this technology yet I still have doubts as to whether I would be able to take accurate readings within this current range. It would also be possible to use current sensors with Rsense, but it would be invasive. Could you help me choose a sensor for this application?

3 REPLIES 3
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

As far as I know, without interrupting the 4-20mA loop and looping in a corresponding node or measuring unit, you have no real chance of measuring the current and sniffing the information from it.

Regards
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Maihach
Associate II

Ok, and using a sensor with Rsense, which would be the most suitable for this application, considering the smallest Rsense possible?

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Well, this depends on your circuit for processing the voltage drop and also on the further processing of the processed signal. With very small shunts, you would have to amplify the voltage drop by a large factor, which reduces accuracy and immunity to interference. A typical value could be 160 ohms.

Ultimately, you have to realise this according to your requirements.

Hope that helps?

Regards
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.