Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M29DW128G60ZA6E: ST or Micron?

manojbala1993
Associate II

Hi Peter , 

Good day , 

Here the part Label is comes with MICRON logo and part markings are belongs to ST micro format . Is it possible ?? 

manojbala1993_0-1711352048334.png

Looking forward for your support and advise on this case. 

Thank you 

Regards 

Manoj Balakrishnan. 

3 REPLIES 3
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

The question can only be answered by the companies that have taken over the production of these flash devices, because ST spun off the entire production line as Numonyx in 2007:

• Numonyx (not existing anymore, acquired by Micron)
  • Micron (cancelled these devices a long time ago)

I'm afraid that you won't get an answer to this because the devices are obsolete and at least ST no longer has any information about them.

However, I'll take the liberty of making a guess: the date code 812 on the photo (assuming it's not a fake) would, according to ST nomenclature, stand for:

• 8 = last digit of the year of manufacture
  • 12 = calendar week of the year

Since the die revision G was only launched in around 2007, 8 can only stand for 2008 or 2018, with 2018 apparently matching the label. Of course, this can only be assumed if Numonyx and later Micron had adopted and continued this structure.

Regards
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

ST & Micron shared fabrication of these parts at one time. That there is some cross-over in markings, which look to be consistent, is not entirely surprising. They may have been purchased via an existing ST sales channel, for a client as a Last-Buy related to EOL notification.

Last orders for these we due Mar 2018, as the Fab 13 in Singapore discontinued production. Peter could perhaps confirm the "VS" diffusion plant code.

https://media.digikey.com/pdf/PCNs/Micron/PCN_32163.pdf

The part's shouldn't be that hard to test in a universal programmer.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

As mentioned, I no longer have any information on NOR Flash since the spin-off in 2007. Only Numonyx/Micron can (officially) confirm that they use the same markings for plants.

It is at least conceivable that there was a transitional phase during which the ST logo was still lasered. I can neither confirm nor rule out that they were still marked with this logo 11 years after the spin-off, but it seems highly unlikely to me. In this respect, my personal conclusion is that something might be faked - either sticker or marking or both.

I would like to emphasise once again that my statement is my own conviction and not an official statement from STMicroelectronics.

Otherwise I completely agree with @Tesla DeLorean: you can certainly reduce the maximum number of write cycles by a few and check the devices in a programmer completely with the usual test patterns (0x55, 0xAA, rolling pattern, etc).

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.