cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection to Bigtreetech SKR V1.4 problems

RobFlagSky
Associate

I am trying to flash a new bootloader to a bigtreetech SKR V1.4 on a 3D printer using a ST-Link V2 STM8/32 and the STM32 ST-Link utility software

When connecting the link to the USB, the power light only lights up on the SKR V1.4 motherboard.

On teh utility app, when trying  to "connect to target" I get an error saying it cannot connect and if I am trying to connect to an STM32W1xx device I should select "normal" or "Hotplug" but yet when I do this, I get the same error, saying I should use "connect under reset"

I have triple checked the connections between the link and the SKR V1.4 motherboard and the wire connections all seem to be correct.
I have connected 5 jumper cables: RST, SWDio, gnd, SWClk and 3.3V

I assume the following has something to do with the error but still need help.
As can be seen in the attached screen capture, the "target" is returning a blank field, which says to me the st-link is not connecting with the 3d printer motherboard.

Please assist with a solution if you can.
Thanks
Rob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

If you only have an ST-LINK/V2, you will not be able to programme any software on the SKR V1.4 - it's like using a Philips screwdriver for slotted screws.

You will have to get a suitable hardware tool and may be able to find out what this is on the manufacturer's website, but I can’t help you there.

Good luck!
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome @RobFlagSky, to the community!

The connection problems are simply due to the fact that you are trying to connect to a board using an NXP MCU (LPC1768) with a tool designed for STM32 MCUs. This cannot really work.

Hope that answers your question?

Good luck!
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
RobFlagSky
Associate

Thank you Peter
Is there a possible solution to this connection error, using the components that I have?
Regards
Rob

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

If you only have an ST-LINK/V2, you will not be able to programme any software on the SKR V1.4 - it's like using a Philips screwdriver for slotted screws.

You will have to get a suitable hardware tool and may be able to find out what this is on the manufacturer's website, but I can’t help you there.

Good luck!
/Peter