cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MKSBOX1V1 and SPBTLE-1S module

GEmel.1
Associate II

Hopefully someone can assist:

I am using the ST EVAL-MKSBOX1V1 (aka Sensortile Box) and trying to set up the SPBTLE-1S for use with STM32duino. I tried to follow the instructions in the STM32duino pages (here: https://github.com/stm32duino/Arduino_Core_STM32/wiki/STM32duinoBLE) and put a header on the board and hooked up a ST-Link JTAG programmer, and I can talk to the flash, however the links to both the DTM_LLOnly.bin and the DTM_Full.bin firmware files are both broken. I found the BlueNRG-1 dev kit however there are a lot of different DTM[misc].bin files available, and I also don't know what is currently flashed into the MKSBOX1V1 module however I'd like to be able to flash it back to "factory" if I play with re-flashing it. Thanks for anyone who can help or who has done this.

Glenn

5 REPLIES 5
Federica Bossi
ST Employee

Hi @GEmel.1 ,

The steps to find the correct binary file are:

• download STSW-BLUENRG1-DK 
  • use the DTM for STEVAL-IDB007V1M, that uses the same BLE chip as the sensortile.box

If my reply answered your question, please click on Accept as Solution at the bottom of this post. This will help other users with the same issue to find the answer faster

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
GEmel.1
Associate II

Which one? There are 6 here:

Directory of ...\DTM\STEVAL-IDB007V1M

143,904       DTM_SPI.bin
149,504       DTM_SPI_NOUPDATER.bin
143,900       DTM_UART.bin
149,504       DTM_UART_NOUPDATER.bin
143,904       DTM_UART_SLEEP.bin
143,900       DTM_UART_Throughput.bin

I did find the DTM_LLOnly.bin in the en.fp-ind-predmnt1.zip archive from ST, but when I flash that into the part the BLE.begin() call fails in the STM32duino environment (returns 0). And if I don't flash that, I can't seem to add any services - I only get these two no matter what I do:

00001801-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb (Handle: 1): Generic Attribute Profile
00001800-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb (Handle: 5): Generic Access Profile

-Glenn

GEmel.1
Associate II

So I am beginning to suspect that I really don't want the DTM_LLOnly.bin firmware in the SPTBLE-1S module, rather I want a full bluetooth stack, however the stack which comes with the sensortile box doesn't seem to support adding characteristics, at least as far as I can tell using the STM32duinoBLE support library. So perhaps there's a generic stack that will work... I'm still looking for help here.

Glenn

GEmel.1
Associate II

So if it helps, here is the entirety of the skeleton code that I've reduced this to, which still doesn't show anything but the two generic services I described above. I'm at a complete loss. If I put any firmware into the SPBTLE-1S module other than what is shipped with it, the BLE.begin() call fails. If I put the default firmware into the SPBTLE-1S module, then BLE gets initialized but the added custom services don't show up on any tools I use to inspect BLE devices (such as ST BLE Toolbox).

#include <STM32duinoBLE.h>

BLEService customService("0000FF00-0000-1000-8000-00805F9B34FB");  // Custom service UUID
BLECharacteristic customCharacteristic("0000FF01-0000-1000-8000-00805F9B34FB", BLEWrite | BLERead, 32);  // Custom characteristic UUID

SPIClass SpiHCI(PC3, PD3, PD1);
HCISpiTransportClass HCISpiTransport(SpiHCI, SPBTLE_1S, PD0, PD4, PA8, 1000000, SPI_MODE1);

BLELocalDevice BLEObj(&HCISpiTransport);
BLELocalDevice& BLE = BLEObj;

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(115200);

while (!Serial);

Serial.print("Starting BLE\n");

// Initialize BLE
  if (!BLE.begin()) {
    Serial.print("BLE Init failed.\n");
    while(1);
  }

// Set advertised local name and service UUID
  BLE.setLocalName("myRemoteDevice");
  BLE.setAdvertisedService(customService);
  BLE.addService(customService);

// Add the characteristic to the service
  customService.addCharacteristic(customCharacteristic);

// Start advertising
  BLE.advertise();

Serial.print("Exiting Setup()\n");
}

void loop() {
  // Handle BLE events
  BLE.poll();

// Check if data has been received
  if (customCharacteristic.written()) {
    Serial.print("Remote received data\n");
  }
}
GEmel.1
Associate II

Resolved here: https://github.com/stm32duino/STM32duinoBLE/issues/57

The bottom line: The file DTM_LLOnly.bin contained in the fp-ind-predmnt1 archive does not apply to the SPBTLE-1S module mounted on the sensortile box. The above link to the solution references a custom version of DTM_LLOnly.bin built for use with the sensortile box under STM32duinoBLE.

Many thanks to Carlo Parata (ST employee) for clarifying this and helping me out!