cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LSM6DSO32 calibration

Buse
Associate II

Hello,

I made a special card design that includes LSM6DSO32. I want to use this sensor in motion classification project. I want to ask a question about a subject that is said by everyone but I do not know. 

Everyone has mentioned that it is necessary to perform a calibration process to get the correct data from an IMU. 

However, the LSM6DSO32 sensor's user manual states that it comes calibrated from the factory. Do I need to calibrate this sensor extra?

If yes, how should I do this for accelometer and gyro?

I read an article about the need to subtract the gyro values from the new gyro values by averaging at the stationary position, is this a correct way to calibrate?

I do not know how to calibrate the accelometer. I need help on how to calibrate both gyro and accelometer values.

Without doing any calibration, I set, the gyro is 1000 dps and accel is 8G and the sampling frequency of both to 104 Hz. The values I measured under these conditions are as in the picture. The IMU sensor's position is constant and perpendicular to the Z axis.

_legacyfs_online_stmicro_images_0693W00000bjwptQAA.pngThank for helping.

King regards,

Buse.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Federica Bossi
ST Employee

Hi @Buse​ ,

I confirm you that the sensors are already calibrated by factory.

However, for some applications, it could be suggested to subtract residual offset (for accelerometer) and ZRL (for gyro). To do so, acquire some samples for each axis and calculate the average. Then substract this value to the acquisitions.

If this helps you, please mark my answer as "Best Answer" by clicking on the "Select as Best" button, this can be helpful for Community users to find this solution faster. 

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Federica Bossi
ST Employee

Hi @Buse​ ,

I confirm you that the sensors are already calibrated by factory.

However, for some applications, it could be suggested to subtract residual offset (for accelerometer) and ZRL (for gyro). To do so, acquire some samples for each axis and calculate the average. Then substract this value to the acquisitions.

If this helps you, please mark my answer as "Best Answer" by clicking on the "Select as Best" button, this can be helpful for Community users to find this solution faster. 

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Buse
Associate II

Hi Federica,

I'm asking you to confirm me, is it enough for me to take the average for each axis and subtract from the new value for both the gyro and the accelerometer? For the gyro this is true but for the accelerometer I'm asking because I'm not sure. Is it enough for me to calibrate by averaging in both (gyro and accelerometer) and subtracting from the new value?

Could you explain a little more what you mean by some applications? I will use this IMU for motion estimation, is it necessary for this application? do i have to?

Best regards,

Buse

Federica Bossi
ST Employee

Ciao Buse,

I'm asking you to confirm me, is it enough for me to take the average for each axis and subtract from the new value for both the gyro and the accelerometer? For the gyro this is true but for the accelerometer I'm asking because I'm not sure. Is it enough for me to calibrate by averaging in both (gyro and accelerometer) and subtracting from the new value? Yes, it is.

Could you explain a little more what you mean by some applications? I will use this IMU for motion estimation, is it necessary for this application? do i have to? It depends on how you implemented the algorithm. You can try not doing the calibration and in case add it later.

Hi Federica,

Thank for helps.

Buse.