cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Housing for inclinometer using MEMS, that leads to low deviation over a temperature range from -10°C to 40°C?

Stivi01
Associate

(1) Are there best practice examples available?

(2) Can I glue the top side of the MEMS to a steel surface? I expect lower temperature deformation than when fixed with the PCB. Or does the steel surface deform the MEMS in the mentioned temperature rage and thus lead to bad measurements?

(3) Which glue would you suggest?

1 REPLY 1
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @Stivi01​ ,

Let me check if I well understood the question.

Taking the IIS2ICLX industrial inclinometer as example, the package which contains the MEMS and the ASIC of this accelerometer is a Ceramic cavity LGA-16 (5 x 5 x 1.7 mm). This package has been optimized to minimize stress and temperature drift in the temperature range declared in the datasheet (and [-10° to 40°] is inside this range).

I also suggest you to have a look to the soldering guidelines for these products.

In any case, if you need to attach the sensor to a surface, a best practice is to choose a proper glue (for example, one with a low thermal coefficient) and, more important, to calibrate the offset by setting the user offset registers (X_OFS_USR (73h) etc...). This will compensate time-0 stress generated by bending or strain effects on the package.

If my reply answered your question, please click on Select as Best at the bottom of this post. This will help other users with the same issue to find the answer faster.

-Eleon