cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

finding Speed of moving vehicle with Accelerometer

NMale.1
Associate III

Dear,

I am trying to find speed of a moving vehicle using accelerometer. Is there any acclerometer with you(ST) ? Please Suggest me one. If any body done with this Project, please Share your Experience.

Thank You.

14 REPLIES 14

All the X, Y and Z values are signed.

The accelerometer is not free floating, there will be some hard and established mounting to the body of the vehicle. The static state will need to be calibrated or trimmed out. Should be possible to determine where the Z / Down direction is.​

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
NMale.1
Associate III

@Community member​ 

Your answer is not relevent to my question. Please check my question once. i am asking about the values given by sensor in deceleration.

please read total convesation and answer my doubt.Please help me.

I think the top post gave you a couple of specific parts you could review the documentation for or evaluate further.

They simply report the acceleration forces acting on it in 3D, as signed values, in the directions it is occurring relative to the mounting.

If you compute the acceleration as sqrt(x*x + y*y + z*z) clearly that's always going to be positive.

The devices don't really have an understanding of forward/backward. You're going to have to do the vector math on the values.

If it moves entirely along the X axis of the device, that will be positive and negative as it accelerates and decelerates.

Perhaps you have colleagues or an immediate supervisor that can help you review the supporting documentation for the assort 3/6-DOF devices ST offers.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
NMale.1
Associate III

Greetings,

@Community member​ &@Eleon BORLINI​ 

In data sheet of LIS3DH accelerometer , they have given that output is 16 bit and it has two 8bit registers. But the LSB register always giving me output as ZERO. only MSB register changing the data while moving the object.

Please Help me......

Hi @NMale.1​ ,

I tried to answer to your question on this thread.

-Eleon