cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get the TNL voice recognition example on the STM32H747I-DISCO with STEVAL$MIC008AA working

OliverWildtgrube
Associate

Hi!

I hope somebody can help me. I am trying to get the sensory_tnl example of the X-Cube-LocalVUI package on the STM32H747I-DISCO with the STEVAL$MIC008AA (dual MEMS Microphones) board working. Unfortunately, I cannot get any audio signals although this is presented in the "Customizable embedded voice recognition solutions without external connectivity" webinar by ST. It does work with the internal microphone on the discovery board but as soon as I try to switch to the external ones, I cannot seem to get an input signal.

As there is no guideline how this should work, can somebody give me a hint which macros I could try change in the code?

2 REPLIES 2
Greg DAVIS
Associate

Hi Oliver,

The projects that are in our X-Cube-LocalVUI package only use a single mic that is located on the Discovery kit itself. Why? The Audio Front End (AFE) DSP blocks that are used when there are more than one mic are not deployed in the X-Cube-LocalVUI package. The AFE blocks must be deployed under NDA and your business needs to be qualified in order to make DSP blocks and tools free of charge for customers to use in production. So, when we qualify the customer opportunity, we can deploy the AFE and an updated X-Cube-LocalVUI package that runs on our Discovery boards and uses the external mic board. For production, the customers must use STM32 devices that have part numbers ending with an “E�? at the end (for example: STM32H753VIT6E). However, we can also qualify any STM32 for use as long as it has have enough performance to run the AFE DSP blocks needed and the potential business volume supports this (must be a production project with qualified volume potential). These “E�? devices (and any STM32 eval board) are the only STM32 devices that will run the AFE DSP Blocks.   

Alternately, we can deploy a project for Sensory Voice Hub like those inside the X-Cube-LocalVUI package but do not have the AFE DSP blocks and DOES have the external mic board enabled but we do not see a use for this use case unless the customer is doing their own DSP on the audio. In reality, we do not see a single production use case that will not strongly benefit from using an AFE with DSP blocks. If you wish get this project without the AFE DSP blocks, or you wish to explore getting access to the complete package with the AFE DSP blocks, please send me an email at greg.davis@st.com and we can discuss. Thank you!

This would explain why we can't find X-CUBE-LocalVUI in the Software packages in STMCubeIDE.
So how can we get approved to use speech recognition on an H743VI?